Do you feel safer? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you feel safer?

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,616 Disability Gamechanger
New crime figures show that most areas of crime have fallen during the pandemic;

criminal damage down 45%

robbery down 52%

theft down 50%

sexual offences down 46%

violent crime up 3%

drug offences no change

The figures are comparisons between 2019 and 2020

So all that considered do you feel safer?
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,589 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’d need to know what the statistics are - is this detected crime or reported crime?

If it’s detections then it could well be that the same amount of crime is happening but some are going undetected because the police have other priorities at the moment.

If it’s reported crime then yes I’d say that has to be a good thing!
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The figures look promising 

I dont really feel any different because of statistics 

I wouldn't say I feel unsafe more vulnerable due to disability and main concern being if anything happened to my son I couldn't get to him quickly 
  • woodbine
    Options
    @66Mustang can only assume it's reported crime, as too much of that isn't detected and a very low % of crime results in a prosecution. But I did find the figures interesting.

Just read the article again and it is reported crime, september 2019-sept.2020
    Showing the biggest falls overall since 2010, there are some regional variations as you might expect but the overall picture looks promising.

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I haven’t felt safe since I started nursery school. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Crime has risen in wales since the pandemic and where my mum lives 
  • woodbine
    Options
    Crime has risen in wales since the pandemic and where my mum lives 
    The figures I quoted are for England and Wales, so it would appear that Wales is no different to England.

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @its been on TV all week about how crime has risen especially knife crime and domestic abuse. dog stealing  not so much burglary but car theft as well and shed break ins 
  • woodbine
    Options
    @its been on TV all week about how crime has risen especially knife crime and domestic abuse. dog stealing  not so much burglary but car theft as well and shed break ins 
    We must watch different TV shows,  :) but I do agree that facebook is littered with dog stealing post, but whilst crime is not always the same in all areas it adds up to a picture that say overall that crime is falling

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,849 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I feel as safe as i always have, i don't pay much attention to statistics, the tories will be taking credit for a reduction in crime i bet give them enough time, i have no time for torys, if its real then it can only be a good thing
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    November 2020 crime rate highest its ever been across England and Wales 2021 hasn't been calculated yet 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Mike yes very true  also crime has always been around  but because we are on lockdown and been on lockdown for the last year people have noticed more because of TV being on line newspapers face book and things like that  
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,826 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well it's all I read about every day, car thefts, stabbings, assaults sexual and physical, murders, dog thefts, scammers galore.
    If it's gone down then I would hate to see it at it's worst because this I put is every single day where I live 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @Sandy_123 same here in wales when I looked on line for England and Wales it said its at its highest for 2020 up until November 2021 not done yet have to see in November 
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 390 Pioneering
    Options
    One thing I will say is that I say emergency service vehicles all the time the moment has been. Shock horror this makes me feel somewhat safe, however, it would be nice to say more pPolice patrolling the area by foot. That aside,  It is too early to tell for me yet. When I start going out a bit by myself after a couple of times, I’ll guess I’ll know. 
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 390 Pioneering
    Options
    csno01 said:
    One thing I will say is that I say emergency service vehicles all the time the moment has been. Shock horror this makes me feel somewhat safe, however, it would be nice to say more pPolice patrolling the area by foot. That aside,  It is too early to tell for me yet. When I start going out a bit by myself after a couple of times, I’ll guess I’ll know. 
    In addition to the above, it did come to me that I recall seeing crime figures in my Local area in my Local paper a ehile back.  :-) 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    Crime rates, along with other statistics, are always going to be open to interpretation. And that also often depends on who is doing the reporting and what their agenda might be. Tabloid newspapers, for example, seeking to draw attention to a particular set of stats based on whatever story they're trying to sell us that day. 

As you say @csn001, it all comes down to personal experience and how you feel about going out and about. And I know a lot of us have gotten out of the habit of being around other people, so that doesn't help either, really.

Hopefully, venturing out for a few easy, short trips might build you confidence back up a bit csn001? Just take it steady. :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    On the news here they said some crime  has started to rise again since rules started to lift but rape knife crime domestic abuse is at its highest during lock down 
  • fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
    Options
    If you trust the figures. Some people probably don't bother reporting as many don't get investigated or get reclassified.

I had an attempted break-in (glassed smashed, LOL tgt was cat and called-out choice words scarring them off!!) AND was jostled in the street (wallet stolen) and didn't hear anything back. (also an attempted jostle on a bus where somebody asks silly questions and person behind tries to put hand in pocket, DRIVER said am I ok?)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Personally I don't take too much notice of , claimed, figures as so much crime goes unreported or not followed up by police as there simply just aren't enough to get crime under control and most crime, car stealing, break in,s etc even if caught offenders only get a slap on the wrist anyway.
    So, no I don't feel any safer.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    I just feel the same but always alert 

Brightness