The funeral that isn't a funeral — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The funeral that isn't a funeral

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
Morbid subject I know, but have any of you seen the TV ads for "pure cremation" and other similar ones?
After much thought I have told senior management that this is what I want when the time comes, they collect you from hospital or wherever, arrange your cremation with no service and then send your ashes to you loved one.
The cost is around £1,400 as opposed to in excess of £4,500.
I would rather my family saved £3000.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I must admit the cost saving is high and quite tempting. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I have seen the ad but didnt take much notice 

Just from my own experience my dad donated his body to medical science and they do pretty much the same apart from they can use the body for a certain period think its up to avmax 3 years but once they have done they cremate and either you can attend or have the ashes or have them scattered in garden of remembrance 

Personally I found this very hard as I wanted to say my goodbye but respected my dads wishes 

All I would say is to think of the wishes of those left behind and their grieving process 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
         It is exactly what I want when I shuffle off this mortal coil, my family are quite happy with my wishes. I came across them when David Bowie died and that's what he opted for, good idea considering the amount of media frenzy his funeral would have caused. They only use to be about £800 but then people jumped on the bandwagon.! I've  told my 2 to have a knees up with the money they have saved. I think you have to have a certain approach to death, some would be horrified with the thought of not having a big send off, me I just like the idea of saving money  ;)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I want to go in a wicker coffin with flowers and I want myself and everyone else dressed in pink 
  • woodbine
    Senior management thinks I should discuss it with the kids, but I said no it's my decision, but I will write a letter and sign it so they know it was my wish.

I think there is an element of funerals being for those left behind, but for once in my life i'm going to be selfish and have my final wish.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm certainly tempted, but not yet. It causes me a certain amount of wicked pleasure (which I'm not normally prone to) to see my son & daughter-in-laws faces when I say I'd like Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' played at my funeral. They can't stand his voice! I couldn't in fact think what I'd like when my daughter-in-law asked (as she certainly has a wicked sense of humour). However, my son's cheap alternative is to throw me in the nearby river! :)
  • vikingqueen
          My dad wanted " always look on the bright side of life "  couldn't just  bring myself to do it mainly because the Royal British Legion walked him into the crematorium with banners held high, didn't think they would have appreciated his sense of humour where Monty Python was involved  :)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I would have liked ‘how long will I love you’ by Ellie Goulding, which I think would be a beautiful song and sentiment, though perhaps a bit emotional in effect.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    I'm sort of with you there @woodbine - I wouldn't discuss it with your children, but would say these are your wishes. I think funerals are awful, & distressing for those 'left behind,' or at least that's how I've felt. Again, personally, I've never had the ashes of a loved one, rather have had them scattered in a garden of remembrance... so hope that's an option.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes I've seen the ads for these, they do look a good option to be honest, if cremation is what your doing, certainly cost effective. I'm having buriel shame there's nothing like this for that option.
  • Lisatho11987777
    I have put all my wishes in my will but my children already know I want a celebration of my life rather than morn my death 
  • woodbine
    SM agrees that if thats what i want then thats what I get, if she goes first I will make sure the kids know what I want, she can't make her mind up yet if it's what she wants.

• vikingqueen
           In all honesty I really don't care one way or the other where I end up but I know for a fact my 2 will do as I've asked. It is one subject that has never been off limits in our family . I lost most of  my family, a son  2 brothers and parents before I was 50 so it became lots of questions were asked about them. Death is part of life and should be talked about.
  • Lisatho11987777
    My children helped me with what I I wanted Mike  so at least I die happy  even if it all changes when I am gone but I think my children would respect whst I wanted 
  • chiarieds
    Perhaps I'm fortunate, but my children will have the benefit of my estate (apart from my current home) in the next few weeks. My son will be able to modernise his home, & have some savings; my daughter will be able to buy her council house, & have a little savings left over too. That's all that I can wish for.....to see them both benefit before I 'pop my clogs.' Doesn't matter one iota after that what happens to me...it's just going to be great to see them both benefit. :)
  • Welshjayne2021
    Welshjayne2021 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    Ironically, my dad passed away a year ago from covid 19.  That is exactly what happened to him.  He was taken from the hospital mortuary to the crematorium.  It cost us £3500.00 and he left this world completely own his own.  I am very much in favour of these new simple cremations. No fuss, that’s for me.
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 475 Pioneering
    edited November 2023
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 3,603 Scope online community team
    They wont be able to answer. ;) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 475 Pioneering
    They wont be able to answer. ;) 
    I noticed  ;)

Brightness