I've recently gone on insulin, and had a further mental health diagnosis. When should I contact DWP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've recently gone on insulin, and had a further mental health diagnosis. When should I contact DWP?

erob12
erob12 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited March 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all,

I am just wondering what I should do, I have recently been put onto insulin for my diabetes, which happened after I had my PIP assessment and I have also had a further diagnosis for my Mental Health,

I had my phone assessment on the 3rd March, and I am awaiting a decision about my award. Should I wait until I have received my decision or should I contact the DWP first thing? 

The whole process has been a nightmare and the constant worry and now these changes are just getting to me. 

Thanks ? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    As you had your assessment a month ago firstly you can phone and ask for a copy of the report (a PA4), that should give you a good idea of what award (if any) has been suggested.
    If they are proposing enhanced rate for both then that of course would be the best anyway, has the change from type 2 diabetes to type 1 meant you have additional care/mobility needs? likewise the change (if there is one) in your mental health?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

As above I would wait and see what you are awarded 

Being insulin dependant myself the medication you take would not really warrant a change in circumstances as it doesnt change your functionality 

You pip assessment looks at how you are at that time any worsening of condition isnt applicable 

You should only report a change if you think you would get a higher award and then only after getting expert advice 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.