Possible Benefit Claim Advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Possible Benefit Claim Advice

Options
Wilsonwinehouse
Wilsonwinehouse Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
Hi guys, 

New here and i have been reading some posts, wonder if someone could maybe give me some information or advice please.

I work at home and have done for almost 10 years, technical support, so i use a computer all day and lots of reading on screens, about 2 years ago or so my vision in my left eye went bad and i was told i had Diabetic Retinopathy in both eyes, i have since had 2 operations on my left eye, detached retina and they did not work, the eye is essentially blind now.

I have had 4 laser surgeries on the right eye and the vision is getting worse in that eye, I know there is pulling on the retina as i see the Ophthalmologist every 3 months, they have said i will need an operation at some point but they are waiting until the last minute. There is a big chance that it wont work like the previous ones, i suppose my question is what would i be entitled to and how would i go about it. 

I am probably not entitled to anything at the moment, but i do know my job is getting harder as my sight gets worse, when i mention it to the ophthalmologist they do not seem to care, they just say we will see you in 3 months and wait for the op, i seem to be between a rock and a hard place at the moment. 

If I do have the op and it does not work, then there is nothing i could do for the company i work for now, i simply will not be able to see, would i claim UC and also claim for Disability? Do i need an assessment? as if that does happen, i am sure they write off to inform people of my vision problem, just not too sure on the way forward if the worst happens. 

TIA

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

I am in similar situation vision wise blind in one eye had all surgeries you mention trying to preserve vision in other eye 

As for benefits you could possibly claim new style esa dependant on ni contributions.  The best way is to go off sick from work and get your ssp entitlement then when it has finished claim esa 

This will require fit notes and an assessment 

The other is to claim UC and declare medical condition again provide fit notes and and you will be referred for work capability assessment which could lead to being awarded LCWRA which has an additional payment on top of UC.  

Either assessment could find you fit for work or LCW which have no additional payments 

I would read up on the different options 

Dependant on how your condition affects your daily living you may also be entitled to claim PIP have a look at the descriptors to see if you think you would be entitled 

Lots to take in and would suggest you do some research 

Any further questions just ask hope this helps to get you started 
  • Wilsonwinehouse
    Wilsonwinehouse Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, in an ideal world i would have my op and it goes well and i just carry on with a semi decent eye. 

How do people live off of SSP, isnt it like £95 a week, would you be able to claim some benefit as well, because that wouldnt even pay the rent. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hopefully the op will work 

You may be able to claim UC as well as ssp I'm not certain 

Try a benefits calculator it may help show what you could be entitled to . You could also call welfare rights 

Other members are more expert in benefits si will be able to help 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.