My contribution-based ESA stops in May, reaching the 365 days. How do I stop this? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My contribution-based ESA stops in May, reaching the 365 days. How do I stop this?

Antaire
Antaire Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi all 
My contribution based ESA stops in May reaching the 365 days. How do I stop this ? 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    You can't. The only way it can be extended is if, when you have a Work Capability Assessment, you are placed in the Support Group. You can try chasing DWP for an assessment but there is a big backlog. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Antaire
    Thank you. So I should’ve been assessed by now but because of Covid they are just stopping it ?
  • calcotti
    edited March 2021
    Antaire said:
    Thank you. So I should’ve been assessed by now but because of Covid they are just stopping it ?
    The law only allows it to be paid for 365 days unless you are in the Support Group. Assessments are supposed to happen within the first three months. Covid has caused delays. The government is aware that some claimants are in the situation you are in but have refused to allow any relaxation of the time limit.
    https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/dwp-has-no-plans-to-extend-time-limit-for-payment-of-contributory-esa-where-claimants-have-reached-365-day-limit-but-not-had-work-capability-assessment
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Antaire
  • calcotti
    Have you completed the EA50 Work Capability questionnaire and are therefore waiting for a phone or F2F assessment or have DWP failed to send you the questionnaire?
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Hi @Antaire

Welcome to the community :) 

It looks like you have already made a start on finding your way around and getting some answers to your questions. Hopefully, that's been helpful to you?

Please do feel free to keep exploring and give us a shout if you would like any help navigating the community or you have any further questions.

@Caz_Scope :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Antaire
    calcotti said:
    Have you completed the EA50 Work Capability questionnaire and are therefore waiting for a phone or F2F assessment or have DWP failed to send you the questionnaire?
    I remember filling out a form a year ago. I have just received a letter that my ESA will stop in May. If I have no money coming in I’m finishind.
  • Antaire
    I didn’t sleep at all last night. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

You still have a bit of time before it stops 

You need to chase up your WCA calk them and ask if they have your forms you sent and if so when will you be having your assessment as it has been so long wait 

If they haven't had your form then request another 

Have you been supplying fit notes throughout the year 
  • Antaire
    What if they say just apply universal credit.
  • Antaire
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

You need to chase up your WCA calk them and ask if they have your forms you sent and if so when will you be having your assessment as it has been so long wait 

janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

Yes every month with fail.
  • Antaire
    Sorry without fail
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    You wont know what they will say if you dont call them 

Take it a step at a time but if you want to continue getting some money you need to sort it out 

Give them a call see what they sat and then we can give you further advice 
  • calcotti
    Antaire said:
    What if they say just apply universal credit.
    You can claim UC at the same time as new style ESA anyway and often it will provide additional income but this depends on your circumstances. You can use a benefits calculator to assess entitlement. Benefits calculators - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
  • Antaire
    edited April 2021
    I waited a hour to get through. All the advisor said was to go on to the gov website and apply for ESA again which I did.
  • calcotti
    Antaire said:
    I waited a hour to get through. All the advisor said was to go on to the gov website and apply for ESA again which I did.
    That's stupid advice. You cannot apply again straight away. If you wait until 12 weeks after it ends you can try claiming again and will be eligible if you meet the NI conditions (which will be based on different years to your previous one).

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.