ESA reassessed after 6 months — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA reassessed after 6 months

Cat1981
Cat1981 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I was so releived to have been placed into the support group but have now found out I will be reassessed in August.
I'm already anxious about it.
I struggle to talk about my mental health and found talking about it in the last assessment really distressing. 
I didn't sleep for weeks before/ after the assessment.
I think my mental health and is the main reason for me being placed in the supoort group but perhaps they will reassess to see if anti-depressants or counselling helped.
Counselling didn't help and I stopped taking antidepressents due to weight gain. NOT because I'm vain but because I put on almost 2 stone already with steroids (which I have not yet lost) and my biologics seem to be stopping me from losing weight too, so I  was alarmed by  the weight gain when I started to gain even more on anti-depressants.
I will discuss different anti-depressants with my doctor at my next appoitment.

I was just about to start a claim for PIP (mainly due to my autoimmune condition) so will potentially have an assessment for that coming up too. Mentally I don't think ill be able to fight for both. I've only just finished ESA and it will all be back-to-back.
 All when I'm stuggling both mentally and phyically.

When I'm reassessed in August will I have to re-do the ESA forms again too? 

Has anyone got any advice? Please be kind as I'm feeling fragile.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Even if your case has been marked for review in six months that doesn't mean you will be reviewed at that time. With the current assessment backlog you may well be pushed back. When review does take place you will usually be sent the ESA form to complete again to explain how you are at that time. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cat1989

It can be a stressful time when renewal day comes around, but you've done the right thing in asking about it so far in advance, hopefully the replies from our members will help to ease your concerns. 

If counselling and anti-depressants didn't work for you then when the time comes you should just explain that if you think it's necessary.  But remember to keep focused on how your condition impacts your ability to work, and give examples. 

I'm glad you will be discussing different anti-depressants with your GP, hopefully they are able to find something that works for you going forward, and I hope your GP helps you manage your mental health effectively.

There's no harm in applying for PIP as well, but I would understand if you didn't feel up to handling both situations at once. Please remember that you don't need to do it alone, you can always seek advice and help from places like Advice Local, Citizens Advice and Welfare Rights.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cat1981

I just wanted to bob you a message to see how you're keeping?  I hope all is well but please let me know if you could do with additional support.  Take care.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

How do you know you will be assessed in August? 

Is it that they recommended an assessment then or have you been given an assessment date 

Your award will stay in place till you have a reassessment but the award length is just a guide and there is no end date 

You will get forms to fill in b4 and that will indicate a reassessment is taking place 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.