Tesco deliveries — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tesco deliveries

Aquinas
Aquinas Community member Posts: 25 Courageous
I am not sure if you can help here but would be glad if you could! 

You may be aware that Tesco have stopped using both carrier bags and tray liners for home delivery.  The customer is then expected to lift the goods out individually. This has already caused a significant impact for many disabled and elderly people (one only has to see the feedback on the Tesco Facebook pag, including mine).   Requests to consider using bags for the disabled have been constantly refused and I am sure that this is discriminatory.   Is there anything that can be done here?    (I personally have to shop at Tesco as they sell the goods that I require for my special die, among other things, so not inclined, yet, to move elsewhere).  

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I would contact the store you get delivery from see if they can assist 

Or you could always ask the deliver driver to assist 

I know this would only be individual and wouldn't be a change for all 

I have asda deliveries and they always accommodate individual request 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    On Tesco's website they say, 'If you are a vulnerable, disabled or elderly customer, you can ask our delivery drivers to take your shopping inside your home. They will do so, providing they believe it is safe and practical. Unfortunately, they won’t be able to enter your home if you are self-isolating.'
    Elsewhere they say, '......you may find it useful to have your own carrier bags or boxes ready at the door to make it easier to move your shopping from our trays into your home.'
    I agree it is difficult; I'm disabled, but would prefer no-one coming into my home. I mention to the drivers that I have difficulty, & I just take my time. Some of the drivers put one crate on top of the other, which makes getting items out a little easier.
    In Tesco's defence, as quoted above, they do seem to be offering some solutions.
  • Aquinas
    I have already contacted Tesco several times, who are standing strictly by their policies. 

But that doesn't take into consideration a number of factors 1) I have yet to have the vaccination and am in the highly vulnerable category so would prefer that drivers did not come into my house when I've been shielding all year . 2) I'd rather the filthy trays were not bought into my house either  3) Taking my time would mean that Tesco drivers would be outside for a very long time!  I cannot bend continuously to empty the trays, and don't like the drivers handling my shopping.  Some drivers are definitely more pro-active than others.     I realise that we all have different household circumstances  - and for me this is definitely causing difficulties.   I am still trying to work out what the best method is of transferring goods <in my house>, and yet to come up with a solution.     

• Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Thanks for your post @Aquinas.

Sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with this. Thinking around the issue a little bit, I can see how you've yet to come up with an entirely suitable solution that is appropriate for your circumstances. 

In addition to the points raised by other community members though, I thought it might be helpful to include this link to some further information on the Scope website about shopping for Food and Essentials during coronarvirus. I realise that this is probably not new information for you, but I did spot a further link to Finding volunteers to shop for you. Is that perhaps worth considering, or indeed something that you have already tried?

Hoping that others might be able to offer some alternative solutions as well.
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    The last delivery we had from Tesco 10 days ago it was all in try liners.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,719 Disability Gamechanger
    @Aquinas I have this provablem some drivers do lift the tray up. If not I'm I. Agony trying to pick shopping up. I usually ask for bags. Last tesco shop I did was with tray liners which makes it a little easier. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Sandy_123 I have found my shopping easier since I use morrisons on my amazon  x
  • Merl
    Merl Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Hello Aquilas.   Since your post have you had your vaccine yet, this may lessen your anxieties over drivers handling your shopping?   I was in the highly vulnerable stage and have now had my two doses of vaccine, but I still take care to not let my guard down.

I use Tesco for my home deliveries.  I purchased a couple of bags from Amazon which I hand over to the drivers at the front door, and they pack my shopping from the trays and place the bags onto a wheeled trolley near the door.  I am then able to wheel my trolley into the kitchen and slowly unpack and put away my shopping.  This enables me to avoid bending down too much due to my limited mobility.

Hope that can be of some help.

Take care.
  • Aquinas

Merl said:
    Hello Aquilas.   Since your post have you had your vaccine yet, this may lessen your anxieties over drivers handling your shopping?   I was in the highly vulnerable stage and have now had my two doses of vaccine, but I still take care to not let my guard down.

I use Tesco for my home deliveries.  I purchased a couple of bags from Amazon which I hand over to the drivers at the front door, and they pack my shopping from the trays and place the bags onto a wheeled trolley near the door.  I am then able to wheel my trolley into the kitchen and slowly unpack and put away my shopping.  This enables me to avoid bending down too much due to my limited mobility.

Hope that can be of some help.

Take care.

Thanks for your reply Merl.  I have as yet only had one vaccine, next one not happening until July.  I'm still in the Extremely Vulnerable category.   My house is an old and tiny Victorian cottage with a very high lip to the front door, and then further steps into other rooms so a wheeled trolley is not practicable, unfortunately.    I've tried getting the delivery guys to put the groceries in my baskets but they were too heavy to lift, and bagging them still leaves the issue of lifting and turning. (turning makes me dizzy as well.  In the end I gave up in despair and let the delivery drivers (both of us masked and where they agree)  bring the groceries with the tray inside and they empty the lot on my table.   

• Merl
    Merl Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Hello Aquilas.

Glad to hear that you will be getting your second vaccine in July.  

Sorry I could not be of more help.  

Take care.
  • kelics
    kelics Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
    I only shop at tesco and yes i was not happy about that. The guys usually come in and dump stuff in the kitchen.

I kinda got used to it now, but if this causing you a problem, you can just sort it out yourself to different bags once the delivery driver dumps everything inside? Thats what i would do but i usually order very little.
  • Aquinas
    Thank you for all your answers folks! .   I have solved the problem although it's not ideal.  I don't know how to turn off commenting, as I think we don't need to continue this any further x
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Aquinas

If you don't want anybody else to comment on your discussion, I can close it for you? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Aquinas
    yes please, thank you @Ross_Scope :-) 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Closed upon request of the OP.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness