ESA and permitted work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and permitted work

crashed
crashed Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have been on ESA for 3 years due to severe anxiety, agoraphobia and depersonalisation. I've been lucky that after 3 years of NHS mental health services and medicines failing, I was able to obtain a prescription from a private doctor for medical cannabis and I'm finally starting to get my head sorted. My question is...

I would like to start trying to do some self employment work. Its quite trivial, answering surveys and completing simple tasks on my computer. Not so much for the money, I just feel ready to try and get some routine back after not leaving the house for years, I feel it for me it could assist in my recovery at this stage in my illness... thinking about the future and how I now see my health improving it just seems like something I want to try. Earnings would be around £30-60 a week max.

Thing is, I dont trust the DWP. I'm terrified they will see the mere suggestion as a trigger for an assessment and every assessment puts me back at least 3 months in my mental health, I usually even stop contacting family for months after an assessment it makes me so ill. I feel like it's a catch 22, I want to answer surveys online as a type of pretend work, in exchange for not much, but its still an income and therefore work.

How likely is this to trigger an assessment, because I don't even know how ill cope with this goal I've set myself, I dont want to trigger assessments and the DWP when I don't actually know how it will turn out or even if I can cope with it once I try it.

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.