Hi! Just received my ESA award letter, they are saying I am entitled to £7.10 a week. Why? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi! Just received my ESA award letter, they are saying I am entitled to £7.10 a week. Why?

son_hawley
son_hawley Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Just receive my award letter in relation to ESA.  They are saying I am entitled to £7.10 a week - does anyone know why this is?  Thank you.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    You will need to provide more information about your situation in order to form an opinion. Do you receive any pension income? Pension income over £85/week will reduce the ESA payable. Does the letter include a a calculation showing how they have arrived at it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    As calcotti says it's hard to advise without more information.
    @son_hawley welcome to scope, great to have you with us.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• son_hawley
    edited April 2021
  • son_hawley
    Hi!  I’m not in receipt of pension.  I’m 39, only just applied and received this letter today.  I have no idea what it means xx 

thank you everyone xxx 
  • calcotti
    No I don't understand that either. As this is a new claim for new style ESA there shouldn't be any reference to income based ESA at all so this makes no sense. I think you are going to have to ring them for clarification.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • son_hawley
    I’m so glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t understand.  Are there any other benefits which would affect the amount I get? I’m just thinking I am in receipt of cadets allowance. 
  • woodbine
    It's odd but it does say the amount is up to 7th April (tomorrow) as above you need to speak to them.

• son_hawley
    They are waiting for medical expedition from
    doctor so could that be why? 
  • woodbine
    @son_hawley tbh no idea, you need to call the DWP, usually best first thing when they open and aren't so busy. Let us know what they say?

• son_hawley
    edited April 2021
    Yes I will thanks for reaching out I’ll give them a call tomorrow.  Totally miffed !!! 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes I will thanks for reaching out I’ll give them a call tomorrow.  Totally miffed !!! 
    I hope that goes well. Let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • son_hawley
    Thank you for being so kind x 
  • Charlieniblett
    Charlieniblett Community member Posts: 54 Connected
    Quick question @son_hawley, do you claim Carers allowance? It’s just the amount given is the exact difference between esa and Carers allowance. And both won’t be paid at the same time.
  • son_hawley
    Hey! Yes I receive caters allowance for my deaf daughter xxx 
  • Charlieniblett
    Charlieniblett Community member Posts: 54 Connected
    That will be why then, these are what they call overlapping benefits. You can’t receive both, what you’ll find is you’ll get a letter from Carers to say they are stopping your benefit and it will be replaced with esa as that one is the higher paying benefit. My partner went through the same thing last year. Depending on the outcome of your work capability assessment, you will either continue to receive the £74.35 for 12 months, not be entitled to anything or be put in the support group and get £113.00 per week.
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    Hey! Yes I receive caters allowance for my deaf daughter xxx 
    That is the reason then. Carer’s Allowance and ESA are ‘overlapping benefits’. The CA has been deducted from the maximum ESA amount to arrive at the ESA payable.

Good spot by Charlien!

The letter is still complete nonsense. There should be no reference to income based ESA and obviously there should be a reference to the Carer’s Allowance. 
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    woodbine said:
    It's odd but it does say the amount is up to 7th April (tomorrow) as above you need to speak to them.
    That’s because the amounts will change with the new benefit rates.
  • son_hawley
    Oh I see!  Thank you so much!!  I’m in a position where I am waiting to start a very small part time job as admin for 10.5 hours a week in May so I’m hoping I’ll still get ESA.  I probably should have just stuck with carers allowance knowing all this. It’s so confusing isn’t it.    
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    Oh I see!  Thank you so much!!  I’m in a position where I am waiting to start a very small part time job as admin for 10.5 hours a week in May so I’m hoping I’ll still get ESA.  I probably should have just stuck with carers allowance knowing all this. It’s so confusing isn’t it.    
    You need to be aware of the following.
    You are not entitled to Carer’s Allowance if you earn more than £128/week.

For ESA there are permitted work rules described here
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form/permitted-work-factsheet
  • son_hawley
    I will only earn £112 a week 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.