Get those shops open 12/4 (England) - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Get those shops open 12/4 (England)

2»

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree @woodbine and as foreign travel is still banned people can't even splash out on a holiday in the sun 

We will see all uk holiday venues fully booked and places like center parcs costs a small mortgage to go in school holidays 

I won't be rushing straight out to any shops will wait till it all calmed down a bit 
  • fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
    woodbine said:
    I think there is one big problem, those who's income hasn't been too affected by covid have money to spend, after all for most of the year they haven't been going to the pub/eating out, going on foreign holidays, savings apparently are at an all time high, trust me the flood gates are going to open next week.
    On the radio some retailers think there may be an online drag so may not be inundated. (How many comfortable shopping online now, not to continue on?)

My worry is June, if social distancing goes out of window, where it seems to be more lax now there is still an element of footfall management.
  • fluffycat
    janer1967 said:
    I want a new sofa can't buy online as need to try it to make sure I can transfer on and off into my wheelchair 
    I bought an armchair online once, but too low back as no measurements online, so would be like you to try for size. (Was kerfuffle to return, and worry if cat used as scratching post ?)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    fluffycat said:
    woodbine said:
    I think there is one big problem, those who's income hasn't been too affected by covid have money to spend, after all for most of the year they haven't been going to the pub/eating out, going on foreign holidays, savings apparently are at an all time high, trust me the flood gates are going to open next week.
    On the radio some retailers think there may be an online drag so may not be inundated. (How many comfortable shopping online now, not to continue on?)

My worry is June, if social distancing goes out of window, where it seems to be more lax now there is still an element of footfall management.
    Primark are to open an hour earlier and stay open an hour later in most of their stores from Monday, they are obviously expecting to be busy, but of course they don't trade online.
    I suspect social distancing will be with us until at least the autumn if not longer.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Most campsites were full from the first day of travel across Wales  treco Bay was full  most of the havens and blue stone 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Social distancing has already gone out the window here  
  • woodbine
    I had to go to the doctors yesterday and I didn't see anybody not keeping their distance to be honest.

• Lisatho11987777
    To be fair I was ashamed of wales  large gatherings in Cardiff Bay been on the news no social distancing no masks  in mumbles large gatherings no social distancing no masks the list is long 

The vacunation doesn't stop corona virus you just don't have such bad symptoms it can still be passed around other countries are in their third wave of the corona virus if we aren't careful we will be back there and on lockdown before summer 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @fluffycat it's personal taste I think some of my friends have set up business online so I try and support them I get everything I need realy and I do online food shopping  I will be honest though before all this I was a shopper but now I actually find it easier to shop online and I get things cheaper which is a good help I appreciate it isn't for everyone 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Having had my car fixed We managed to go food shopping today and though I sat in the car reading a book I thoroughly enjoyed my little outing. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• fluffycat
    Whilst there are clearly going to be a small number of people with money to burn it’s unlikely to help the economy much. More likely it’ll be burnt through quickly on some big ticket items for a small number but most savers tend to carry on saving and not spend. The rich contribute the least to the economy preclude it because spending is the one thing they do the least of. 

Then the reality of the experience of the rest of the population will kick in. Record numbers on Universal Credit with a £20 drop to come. Eviction and possession moratorium to end. 80% of people showing symptoms either declining to take a test because they can’t afford to self-isolate or simply testing positive then declining to self-isolate. Not even factoring the full impacts of Brexit in as they’ve not kicked in yet and nor has the inevitable inflation kick which is coming. 

Does anyone really think we’re talking major resurgence here?!
    The lunchtime economy (people lunching out / sandwiches to go etc. and retail therapy around workplace will be hit as an economy was built on it, esp. in city areas. (now more working from home is adopted and may not return in huge numbers or regular)
  • woodbine
    I think the good news is that unemployment was going to reach 11.1% this summer it's now expected to be no higher than 6,1% which is probably around a million + fewer out of work, the economy is expected to bounce back by 7% this year and almost the same next year before settling back to the 2% we are used to.
    In other good news it's possible we will see for the first time negative interest rates which should be interesting, I wonder how some of the big high st names will justify having APR's of 35% + ?

It also seems that as a population we are liking what the government has been doing the polls show them having a 16% lead.
    We live in interesting times, and the ride is about to become a little more interesting or bumpy depending on how you view things.

• Lisatho11987777
    Mike I totally agree with everything you have said and very well put 
  • fluffycat
    woodbine said:
    I think the good news is that unemployment was going to reach 11.1% this summer it's now expected to be no higher than 6,1% which is probably around a million + fewer out of work, the economy is expected to bounce back by 7% this year and almost the same next year before settling back to the 2% we are used to.
    In other good news it's possible we will see for the first time negative interest rates which should be interesting, I wonder how some of the big high st names will justify having APR's of 35% + ?

It also seems that as a population we are liking what the government has been doing the polls show them having a 16% lead.
    We live in interesting times, and the ride is about to become a little more interesting or bumpy depending on how you view things.
    Hopefully a continual bounce to keep people working. 

Think my savings account is going from 0.1% to 0.01% LOL (they lend it out at fair few more %)

Brightness