Could my parents who are pension age claim the carers element of UC? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Could my parents who are pension age claim the carers element of UC?

Options
bobby123
bobby123 Community member Posts: 188 Courageous
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I currently get lcwra UC and pip standard daily allowance, my parents look after me but they are retired and get state pension can they apply for the carers element of if and also can I get this backdated from when my pip started in April 2020
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

According to the Internet you can't get carers if on state pension however it does say to apply as they may get additional pension credit or housing benefit 

Any further questions just ask 
  • bobby123
    Options
    I know you can't get carers allowance and state pension at the same time.

Is that the same with carers element of uc and state pension?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The carers element is claimed by the person providing the care not the person getting care 

So as your parents look after you and get pension they won't be claiming uc 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hi @bobby123

In addition to the above - you can find out what benefits your parents would be entitled to on this Carers UK 'Benefits for carers of pension age' webpage.  Or you could use Scope's Benefits calculator too.

I've moved this post to our Universal Credit category and tweaked the title to help others spot what it's about.  Please do let us know if you have any further questions and have a nice rest of the day. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You parents can claim Carer's Allowance but cannot be paid it. By claiming they would establish an 'underlying entitlement'. This means that any means tested benefits they claim would include a carer premium. If they receive Pension Credit this would increase the Pension Credit payable.

No point in claiming if they are not eligible for means tested benefits. As Cher suggests you could use a calculator to see if they are eligible.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    Options
    bobby123 said:
    I know you can't get carers allowance and state pension at the same time.

Is that the same with carers element of uc and state pension?
    Someone receivingState Pension could have the carer element if they were also claiming Universal Credit because part of a mixed age couple. However this isn't relevant to your situation.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    Options
    There are limited circs in which you can get SRP and CA at the same time.
    Presumably if their State Pension is worth less than Carer’s Allowance in which they would get a CA top up, but such cases must be rare.
  • bobby123
    Options
    My parents get full state pension does this mean no carers allowance or carers element.

• calcotti
    edited April 2021
    Options
    bobby123 said:
    My parents get full state pension does this mean no carers allowance or carers element.
    It certainly means they cannot be paid Carer’s Allowance. Whether or not there is any entitlement to means tested benefits that could include a carer premium depends on their circumstances. 

Carer element refers to UC and, as already advised, they cannot claim UC because they are pension age.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.