Where have they gone — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Where have they gone

janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
Hi all 

Hope your all having a nice Sunday and keeping safe 

I really miss the old bakery shops where you could get fresh baked bread and pies, pastries and cream cakes 

I don't like the mass produced bread and cakes available at supermarkets 

Never see any old style bakeries around anymore I remember having to queue outside them on Saturday morning to pick up our weekend treats 

Has anyone here got a bakery near them ? Do you miss them like me ? What did you used to get from them ? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    We are lucky having a bakery in the village and in the nearest town, I do like "proper" bread, although M&S bread comes close.
    Pies and cakes from supermarkets are shocking.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    @woodbine I need to come and live in your village do you and senior management want a lodger? 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @janer1967 Oh me too!  There's a few near where I live, with some on the market and a few in back streets but they are increasingly disappearing  :(

My favourite thing to get is fresh teacakes, custard tarts, gingerbread men and a warm pork pie or sausage roll.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    @Cher_Scope agree with the custard tarts and pork pies and sausage rolls 

I used to like elephants feet , treacle tarts , and ours used to do hot roast pork sandwiches on home baked bread cakes 

Making me hungry now 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
               We use to have one across the road when I was a child. At Christmas Miss Eddlin would put her Christmas cakes in the window where there was also a paraffin heater to keep the window from freezing up... she made the best everything from her little converted house, no health and safety in those days but we all survived  :)
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    We have a bakery in our town. I agree the stuff from a bakery is nice. However you have to be willing to pay to play...£2 for a loaf of bread compared with 59p in the supermarket, or £1 for a single cake instead of £1 for 4 in the supermarket.

I think the same about butchers. I think you get much better meat from them than you can get eat the supermarket. But again its double or triple the price.

It seems the popular thing today, if you want to spend more money and get better quality, is farm shops, which I do enjoy but they are not quite the same. However I recommend visiting a farm shop if you have one near you. :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not really a cake person normally, but you've got me thinking (too much) about vanilla slices, which were my weakness in a bakery.
    You all should try making your own bread.....it's easy to do, & so much better than any supermarket bread. I don't do it now as there's just me, tho I'm sure my cat Shadow would pinch some (she once ran off with a piece of my cheese & onion sandwich!) :o
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    We have a nice little bakers nearby, but as @66Mustang mentions they are definitely dearer than supermarkets, nice produce though, yum ? 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    This was just a fun thread not intended for political opinions 
  • woodbine
    janer1967 said:
    @woodbine I need to come and live in your village do you and senior management want a lodger? 
    sadly we converted the second bedroom into storage space

• woodbine
    One of my favourite lunches used to be a meat and potato pie on a muffin (you probably call it a bread cake, but that's a whole new debate ! )

• janer1967
    @woodbine that's some lunch never tried that one 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Yesss I miss those bakers too I love farmer markets as well where you get the fresh breads all different kinds x 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    The best pasties I ever had were bought from a bakery in Cornwall, absolutely one hundred percent better than supermarket pasties beyond doubt.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    There is a local bakery in the town where I live that makes their own bread and cakes. When you have tasted fresh made cakes and bread you don't really want to go back to the supermarket bread and cakes!
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Where have they gone?

When you didn’t post any opposition to that out of twin shopping centre or that nice bee big supermarket... well that’s where they have gone.
    Shopping habits change, we need the big supermarkets.

Doesn't mean we cant moan about missing a proper bakery!

I got a breadmaker,  fresh, tasty bread without the effort...lol
  • janer1967
    @Cress I used to have a breadmaker might have to invest in another one 
  • Cress
    janer1967 said:
    @Cress I used to have a breadmaker might have to invest in another one 
    I'm very much enjoying crusty Poppy seed bread with marmalade at the mo...
  • Cress
    Toasted of course...
  • janer1967
    @Cress I used to leave mine on overnight so was warm and ready for morning only trouble is smell of fresh bread was too irresistible 

Now I live in bungalow would smell it as soon as I woke up may even wake me up lol 

BTW good luck for your son coming home sounds like he is doing well and glad things have been put in place for your safety too 

Brightness