My college have said I can't bring in my own laptop, and they can't give me one. What can I do? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My college have said I can't bring in my own laptop, and they can't give me one. What can I do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This does seem strange @kittydavies. You're entitled to reasonable adjustments if you can prove you're disabled under the Equality Act 2010. 

I can see that Caz sent you a link to the page on reasonable adjustments in further education from the Scope website. I'd encourage you to give it a read if you haven't already.

We also have pages on making a formal complaint if you feel as though you're being discriminated against. If you make a formal complaint against the college, and this is not resolved, you may be able to complain to the Education and Skills Funding Agency, or the Office of the Independent Adjudicator

You may also want to get in touch with:
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • kittydavies
    kittydavies Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    Thank you. My mum has spoken to the college again and said that I have to have a laptop and she's buying one this week (because my last one needs repairs so it's easier to buy a new one) she asked what laptops should she look at. They said now I can use one off the college laptops. It was actually the person I spoke to in September and she said she hadn't said any of it 
  • kittydavies
    kittydavies Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    But at least things have changed and thank you all for your help. I was considering leaving the college because I had enough so thanks
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's strange and frustrating, but at least it's sorted now @kittydavies! I hope it doesn't happen to other students in a similar position. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    Really glad to hear that you and your mum have managed to get things sorted and get access to a laptop for you :)

It must have been very frustrating for you, given that it took so long for the college to respond to your requests. I hope that hasn't impacted too significantly on your progress for this academic year? 

Great to hear that this means you feel able to continue with your college work though. Wishing you all the best with your studies and do get in touch if you have any further difficulties or you feel that you would like some additional support from the community in the future :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness