Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

If my partner gets a tax refund, will this affect our universal credit?

SystemSystem Posts: 530

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: HMRC Income Tax refund and Universal Credit.


  • ella1992ella1992 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi does anybody know if my partner get tax refund will this effect are unvcail credits 
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 1,706 Pioneering
    If the tax refund relates to a year in which your partner was employed or self employed then the refund will be treated as earnings and an earnings deduction will be made (63% of the refund) unless it falls within any Work Allowance that applies.

    If they were employed/self-employed in the year to which the refund relates then your partner should declare the refund to UC. 

    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Caz_AlumniCaz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 627 Pioneering
    Hi @ella1992

    How are you doing today? I just wanted to stop by, say hello and see how you're getting on with everything?

    I know you've been getting involved in some of our discussions on the community and I can see that you've received a reply to your query above. Hopefully, that's proved to be helpful to you? 

    Do feel free to get in touch with us again if you have any more questions or even if you just fancy a bit of chat :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Sign in or join us to comment.