ESA & SAVINGS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA & SAVINGS

Options
waterlilly
waterlilly Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone, 
Hope someone can help with ESA and amount of savings you can hold.
I have been on ESA (support group) for approximately five years.
My recent annual statement read as follows:

"The payment of Employment and Support Allowance is based on your National Contribution records and any additional amount the law says you need to live on.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Living Expenses                                                                                          £74.70
Extra money because of the Disability Income Guarantee                         £17.20
Extra money because you are in the Support Group                                  £39.40
Which give a total income-related amount                                                  £131.30
No income will be taken off your Employment and support Allowance
Your income-related amount is £131.30 less total income of £0.00
So your income-related entitlement is                                                         £131.30
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the above, I believe I get Contribution Based ESA with an Income Related entitlement of £17.20 (top-up).
If correct, I am right in saying that, if have more than 6k of savings, then the Income Related entitlement of £17.20 will be affected.
Or, I am wrong and the above is a Income Related ESA and as such any savings over 6K will affect my ESA.
Thank you for input in advance.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For IR  ESA savings over £6k reduce your ESA, savings over £16k would stop IR ESA.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    waterlilly said: From the above, I believe I get Contribution Based ESA with an Income Related entitlement of £17.20 (top-up).
    Or, I am wrong and the above is a Income Related ESA and as such any savings over 6K will affect my ESA.
    I read that as entirely income based (but ESA letters are notoriously difficult to interpret). 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @waterlilly - & welcome to the community.
    To break it down you are entitled to £74.50, but, being in the support group adds an additional £39.40, so adding this to £74.50 brings you to the support group rate of £114.10. Being in the support group, if you're also on income-related ESA, you are entitled to the enhanced disability premium, which is the £17.10 mentioned in your statement. This brings the total to £131.30, which is quoted as being your income-related amount (IR), so it's IR ESA. As you correctly say, with this any income & savings over £6k may affect your ESA. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/what-youll-get  You would no longer be eligible for ESA if your savings &/income were over £16k.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.