Searching for some Practical Advice on blood marks and lower leg swelling. Anything I can do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Searching for some Practical Advice on blood marks and lower leg swelling. Anything I can do?

Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
I earlier placed a post on tinnitus. I am pleased to say it has just about disappeared. Thanks for the advice on that one.
Here's another, well a couple really. I suffer from blood marks on the forearms, some of them quite large and they keep coming, when one goes away another appears. Anything I can do?
Another is my lower legs and ankles are swollen especially my left, I do need a hip replacement, that may have something to do with it? I know keeping them up helps, but that is impossible to do all day. Anything I can do about that?    

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I have no idea about blood marks and as for your legs it depends what the problem is as it could be multitude of conditions 

You should consult your gp as you are aware we are not medical professionals and unable to give medical advice 

Glad the tinnitus has improved 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Hi @Dragonslayer :)

Sounds like you've got one or two things going on there that suggest it's time to have a chat to your GP, maybe?

I know that you're a longstanding and much more experienced member of the community than I am, so you're already familiar with the fact that we're not going to be able to give you any medical advice on this. Plus, I'm sure that none of us would really want to comment too much on your blood spots or swollen ankles anyway, just in case we inadvertently steered you in the wrong direction. And we definitely wouldn't want that!

So, what do you think about giving the doctor a ring to make an appointment and get yourself checked out?
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Dragonslayer
    @Caz_Scope
    Thanks for the input Caz. But I wasn't seeking medical advice for I have already done that and had good council. I just wondered if anyone had any 'tips' so to speak that may help. Maybe I worded it wrong. But I am assured by a consultant that things will improve the further down the road I find myself on. 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Hi @Dragonslayer :)

Sorry, for jumping the gun a bit there! That's good that you're already under the care of a consultant. And really good to hear that they've already given you an indication that things will gradually improve for you as you go along.

In the meantime, if you're still looking for 'tips' (not medical advice!!), I was going to ask if you had tried Epsom Salts? My mum and I have used them in a foot bath in the past to relieve some of the swelling that she gets in her lower legs, due to her other ailments. If nothing else, she finds it very soothing and she does think that it helps with some of the swelling. Plus, you should be able to get hold of them online or from high-street chemists quite easily.

Obviously, I do also need to say that you should check with your doctor if they're suitable to use in your particular circumstances. Otherwise, hope that proves to be a useful 'tip' for you!

• Dragonslayer
    @Caz_Scope
    Thanks for the tip. I have a nurse appointment today, maybe I could ask her abut it. I seem to remember my Mum way back then talking about Epsom salts as some wonder cure for everything. 
    And I don't think you jumped the gun. I should have worded it better.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    How was your appointment @Dragonslayer? (assuming you've had it by now!)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Dragonslayer
    @Tori_Scope
    Thanks for asking.
    The appointment went well, yet another needle mark on my arm and more to come on Monday with my third hospital appointment. She had never heard of the Epsom salt idea, just advised me to keep my feet up whenever possible. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dragonslayer - I would second putting the affected leg propped up at times (needs to be higher than your heart). Then try moving your ankle in a circle, first one way, then the other. Then trying pulling your foot up so it's at right angles to your lower leg, then relax; do this several times. This helps the 'muscle pump' in the calf in returning blood to the heart. If comfortable, repeat this a little & often. Not only have I previously recommended it to patients, but, after I fractured my hip nearly 5 years ago, from the top of my leg to my ankle was badly swollen, & it took about 3 weeks to go down by doing the above. Hope this helps. :)
  • Dragonslayer
    Hi @chiarieds
    Thank you for the very detailed tip, I will definitely try that out. It sounds really good. ✌
  • Caz_Alumni
    @Dragonslayer How are you getting on with things?

Have you had a chance to try out @chiareds' foot exercises whilst you've been resting up today? That's very similar to some of the physio activities that my mum has been told to do as well, to be honest.

No worries about the Epsom salts. You're always better off sticking with proper medical advice, rather than some of the more old-fashioned home remedies. I thought it might be a bit of a long shot. :)

Glad to hear that your appointment went well anyway, and I hope that you continue to make good progress with things over the coming weeks. :)

• Dragonslayer
    HI @Caz_Scope
    Yes, I have tried those exercises and they are easy to do, especially while laying back in my recliner. ?
    @chiarieds mentioned it could take a while, so hopefully it will work for me. I'll keep you both posted.
    @Tori_Scope I have my third Chemotherapy treatment later today, it's not too bad but it takes time. I go every two to three weeks. (I don't have cancer) I just have to take a milder form of the drug they use for my condition. The staff are great and the doctors say I am doing well, so thanks to all of you for the help. See you soon. ?
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm glad you're able to do the exercises @Dragonslayer :) I'm jealous of the recliner! 

I hope the treatment went well? I'm glad to hear that you're doing well, and that the staff are great. Friendly staff can make all the difference.

• Dragonslayer
    Hi @Tori_Scope
    Treatment went very well, thanks for asking. Third one down, another seven to go, hopefully. ?
    Problem with it is, it does knock me for six a little while after.

• Tori_Scope
    I'm glad it went well @Dragonslayer. Make sure you have lots of good rest and look after yourself :) Good excuse to put your feet up! 

Brightness