Has anyone received enhanced mobility due to mental health? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone received enhanced mobility due to mental health?

mall78
mall78 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all I currently claim pip I receive higher rate standard living and standard mobility i suffer with ptsd , anxiety and depression I was awarded 10 points for mobility just wondering if anyone has received enhanced mobility due to mental health? My condition has got a lot worse I cannot go out alone I have severe panic attacks and thinking to appeal and see if I’m entitled to the higher rate. Has anyone been through the same thing? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @mall78 and welcome to scope, I would suggest having a chat to welfare rights.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Welcome to the community @mall78 :) Thanks for joining.

It's certainly possible to be awarded enhanced mobility due to a mental health condition. You might find the results of this survey conducted by Benefits and Work from last summer interesting. 

It's important to remember that PIP awards are based on how your condition affects you, rather than the diagnosis itself, so two people with the same mental health diagnosis aren't guaranteed to get the same award. Have you familiarised yourself with the PIP descriptors? You can do so on pipinfo.net

If you decide to access expert advice, as woodbine has suggested, you can use advicelocal.uk to search for advice near you. 

I'm sorry that your mental health conditions have worsened. Are you currently receiving support for your mental health? 

Just to make you aware: I tweaked the title of your post slightly to make it easier for other members to find. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

As advised yes it is possible to get enhanced mobility that is one of the reasons that descriptor exists 
  • erin2490
    erin2490 Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    My cousin gets enhanced for her mental health die to not being able to go out alone her anxiety being really bad etc. I think it just depends on what evidence you have to support your claims along with how you write the form. She originally scored 0 points for both and did a mandatory reconsideration and got enhanced for both 
  • erin2490
    erin2490 Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    Due to her not being able to go out alone and her anxiety *

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.