Garden money saving tip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Garden money saving tip

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
We all know that plant food can be expensive, I read a money saving tip last year that actually works.
Save your tea bags then open then up and spread the "tea" round your plants or shrubs.

Simple yet affective and cheap !
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine I am on a garden group called budget Gardens and they said to do thst 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It does work I did it last summer.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Yes I also tried it it makes the soil good 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    @woodbine. My sister does this but she just chucks the teabag in with the roses, and the banana skins. I am saving all my coffee grounds for the garden. This is a nice thread. I've just been on snail patrol as I found one yesterday on my newly planted delphiniums :(

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Tea bags contain plastic and animals could choke thats why they tell you to empty the tea bag 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    Tea bags contain plastic and animals could choke thats why they tell you to empty the tea bag 
    No animals in their house. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    This isn’t to save money but effort. I have mostly all my flowers and small shrubs in pots and I’ve noticed that they need far far less weeding and if they do the weeds come out a lot easier. 

The only labour involved is in watering more because pots tend to dry out, clay ones anyway. So there’s another tip, use the plastic ones instead which are also frost resistant and don’t break up much.

Another benefit is if you move house you can take your shrubs and what have you with you.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness