Very concerning item regarding deaths because of health asseccments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Very concerning item regarding deaths because of health asseccments

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering

TW: suicide

Just been reading the BBC online news and read an article were 27 people have, very sadly, taken there own lives as a result of there benefits being stopped after being assessed by capita. 
One MP read out all of the names of the people we,ve sadly lost in parliament. One can only hope the government stands up and takes notice?

Comments

• Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    Thank you for your flagging this issue @givingup.

I've also included a link to the BBC News article, in case our community members would like to read that in full. 

I know that you've mentioned in the title of your post that this is very concerning news givingup. That's appreciated, thank you. It helps to let our members know that the post might contain sensitive information.

Also, I think it is worth reiterating that point here as well. Some of the content of the article could be quite distressing, so please do treat any discussion that follows with the degree of sensitivity and respect that it deserves. 

That said, it is a debate that needs to be had. What do you think about the report?

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Sadly whist this seems to still be happening it's nothing new and there have been quite a number of well documented cases over the last ten years. It beggars belief that this goes on in the 21st century, it's more like something you would expect from 100 year ago.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Philipa died in 2019 because her benefits were cut very sad and  I will always remember her 
  • TellMell
    TellMell Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    edited May 2021
    Like I mentioned in my own post , the decisions DWP come to after neglecting to consider the evidence and rather choose to go with CAPITAs even more neglectful assessments ,

make or take LIVES.

its rather unfortunate that there is a minority of members within this forum that still stand by the corrupt DWP / CAPITA system

I get the feeling most of them where simply awarded thier benefits without having to go through the life destroying appeals process themselves. 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Must be totally honest have seen very little evidence of support on here for the DWP and HCP's , but it has to be said that the majority of claims are settled without the need for appeals.
    As for DWP being corrupt @TellMell do you have evidence of this?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    I see in Scotland from next year there not going to have these dreadful assessments unless there very suspicious of someone.
    Let's hope the rest of the UK follows suit asap?
    I had to appeal after my capita assessment because the assessor told lies.
    Thank god my appeal was successful.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TellMell
    its rather unfortunate that there is a minority of members within this forum that still stand by the corrupt DWP / CAPITA system

I get the feeling most of them where simply awarded thier benefits without having to go through the life destroying appeals process themselves.

In terms of your other thread, other members were not standing for corruption, but rather pointing out that assessors rarely lie.

Many of our members have been through the appeals process, and have had a range of experiences, so it's not fair to make assumptions about what other members' experiences have been. We'd like to remind you to read our House Rules, in particular the sections around keeping your posts and comments friendly, and the types of content we do not allow.

We would prefer not to close this thread, as it is raising awareness around such an important and difficult subject, but we will close it if breaches of the house rules continue, including indirect personal attacks.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    It is hard going through pip claims and universal credit claims and other benefit claims  especially when you also have to appeal at the end of it all  and then either lose your appeal or have your benefits cut down 

I think people are more worried now wondering which way the government are going to go on the uprise  are people going to lose it or will they leave it on  

80.00 drop will be a big loss to some people and may cause more hardship jobs are hard to get so people will get caught up in a vicious circle there has been enough death and heart ache with the corona virus hopefuly the government will see sense and not cause more poverty 
  • TellMell
    TellMell Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    edited May 2021
    Sorry, But Millions of People who have suffered at the hands of CAPITAS LIES and the DWP's Corruption will and do agree with what im saying.....

Peoples LIVES are being destroyed, through CAPITAs and the DWP Neglect , Falsifying of the facts and Ignorance of Genuine Evidence.

Its a simple but unfortunalte fact that i think you should all start to accept.

Those who cant, Obviously have never been on the receiving end of the DWP and CAPITAs Neglect ,Ignorance , down right Deciet and yes indeed LIES.

What i am saying here is simply in complete agreement with the Majority of people whome can feel the same Anger i do after reading the current thread....

And what i have to say from my own personal experiences is relevant within this thread, And the Millions of other simlar cases On this Forum..

I have a right to speak my mind in Agreement with the People who have also Witnessed and Personally Suffered at the hands of the DWP and CAPITAS , Neglect , Falsifying of the facts and Ignorance of Genuine Evidence.

And for as long as this forum exists, i will Speak my mind with the voice of those millions of effected people.

In this account or any other i shall create when i feel i should also add my own experiences to the list of the many that are accumilating on a Daily by the hour basis.

Once you have 1st hand experience for yourself of the Neglect , Falsifying of the facts and Ignorance of Genuine Evidence from CAPITA & DWP you too will understand why we feel the need to speak our minds on the matter.

And all the comments anybody can reply back in responce to my opinions will not change the way i and millions of other people feel... 

You have to have Witnessed and suffered for yourself the consiquences and the Damage caused through the DWP & CAPITAS Neglect , Falsifying of the facts and Ignorance of Genuine Evidence to really appreciate just what a INHUMANE CRIME the DWP and CAPITA are commiting and presently getting away with.

The System should be scrapped, And REAL DOCTORS should be making the Assessments in a Doctors or Hospital where Physical Examinations and Professional Diagnosis can be completed and the DWP should be making Decisions Based on REAL DOCTORS Diagnosis and Evidence Provided by the Doctors.

Until that day. Millions of Genuinly Ill and Disabled Peoples Lives are Being turned upside down because Evidence is not being correctly taken into concideration and the DWP are getting away with Deciding whatever they like in complete disregard of the facts and evidence presented to them. and it is not right. The System is Flawed, We all know it and many of us have suffered at the hands of it and many will contiune to suffer because of it...

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    We've taken the decision to close this thread due to the direction conversation about such a sensitive topic is heading in. I think we can all agree that loss of life to suicide is tragic, and that there are many factors that can play into this. Raising awareness of the stress caused by benefit claims being unduly stopped is certainly valid, and we hope that the government will take more seriously the plight of many benefits claimants. That being said, we don't allow libel on the community, as is stated in our house rules. There's been no finding of corruption or falsifying of facts, so this is not something we can promote on the community.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness