Gallstones/blocked duct. Has anyone had the stone in their duct removed during gallbladder removal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gallstones/blocked duct. Has anyone had the stone in their duct removed during gallbladder removal?

Athena
Athena Community member Posts: 14 Listener
I was told I have gallstones and I am having my gallbladder removed on Monday next week (17th), the beginning of this week I had an MRI and it was confirmed I have a stone blocking my bile duct. This stone has caused me to turn as yellow as a Simpson, constant temperature, constant nausea, my urine is practically brown and my whole body is itching like there are spiders under my skin. Consultant is aware but symptoms are getting worse day by day. Luckily I only have four days to go!! 

They are going to attempt to remove the stone in the duct durning gallbladder removal. Has anyone else had this procedure done? 

I have no idea what to expect! 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,718 Disability Gamechanger
    @Athena good luck on your operation,I had this procedure done about 7 years or so ago. 4 days will soon be here.
  • Sandy_123
    edited May 2021
    Can I just add if you feel your  condition is  getting  any worse, you can  get  support from 111, your gp or a&e.
  • Athena
    Hi @Sandy_123 thanks! 

Did you have the blocked duct too? 
  • Sandy_123
    No mine wasn't blocked,  or if it was they didn't say,  I didn't wait long for the op after the scans. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    I'm glad some progress has been made @Athena. How is the pain now? 

Have you spoken to your doctor or surgeon? They should be able to explain what you might be able to expect. I haven't had the surgery myself, so I can't offer any first hand experience. 

Here's some more general information from the NHS page on treatment for gallstones:
    Open surgery

A laparoscopic cholecystectomy may not be recommended if you:
    • are in the third trimester (the last 3 months) of pregnancy
    • are extremely overweight
    • have an unusual gallbladder or bile duct structure that makes a keyhole procedure difficult and potentially dangerous
    In these circumstances, an open cholecystectomy may be recommended.

A 10 to 15cm (4 to 6in) incision is made in the abdomen, underneath the ribs, so the gallbladder can be removed.
    General anaesthetic is used, so you'll be unconscious and won't feel any pain.

Open surgery is just as effective as laparoscopic surgery, but it does have a longer recovery time and causes more visible scarring.

Most people have to stay in hospital for up to 5 days. It typically takes 6 weeks to fully recover.

Read more about recovering from gallbladder surgery.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Hello @Athena

Just wanted to wish you all the best for your gallbladder procedure tomorrow. :) 

I hope the everything goes well and it's a smooth path to recovery from surgery after that. And if you're able to stop by he community after your operation, then please do let us know how you get on. Hopefully, we might be able to help keep you going (and perhaps also keep you entertained!) whilst you're in hospital and recovering at home. 

Sending lots of good wishes your way!

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Athena
    Thanks guys!!! ??
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck for the surgery tomorrow they will explain if all to you and if you have any questions just ask then 

Brightness