Good new/bad news — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Good new/bad news

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
Why is good news always followed by bad news ? (or is it just me) yesterday daughter got her second promotion during lockdown from the investment bank she works for !
Today been to hospital, a few weeks ago I had a lump in my neck, turned out to be a cyst on my thyroid that was filling with blood. Went back today for a follow up scan and it's almost as bad as it was before they drained it. Now there seem to be two options drained again but alcohol then pumped in, or an operation where they cut my throat (I've had worse) and senior management has already volunteered to do it for me  :/
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine there is always one thing or another sent to test us 

Sorry about your throat have you decided which option  you are going for 

The surgery might give senior management a few days of silence from you 

Best wishes to you both 
  • woodbine
    @janer1967 thanks, I need a conversation with the consultant but that's not till next month now, I think he will want to try draining again with the alcohol option, which apparently is a new treatment.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations to your daughter @woodbine :) Very impressive indeed.

I'm sorry to hear about your cyst returning with a vengeance. Hopefully one of those two options will do the trick! Do they know what might be causing it? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    Congratulations to your daughter @woodbine :) Very impressive indeed.

I'm sorry to hear about your cyst returning with a vengeance. Hopefully one of those two options will do the trick! Do they know what might be causing it? 
    To be honest thats not a question i've asked yet, last time i was just so relieved it wasn't cancer, but i will ask when i talk to consultant next month, i might even "google" it  (other search engines are avalibale)

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I've had a little look into this @woodbine & draining this thyroid cyst then pumping in ethanol (alcohol) seems effective, whereas just draining the cyst seems largely ineffective. Please see: https://www.thyroidcancer.com/thyroid-cysts
    It's exactly the same, only different. I have a Baker's cyst, a swelling at the back of my knee...they normally resolve within a few months.... condiments I've had mine for 20 years! Initially my GP drained (aspirated) mine twice; within 24 hours the swelling was back each time.
    This procedure seems like a way forward for you, & will save you from senior management's handiwork. :)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations ?and commiserations ☹️

Good luck anyway.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Congratulations to your daughter and good luck with the treatment.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news for your daughter...well done her!

Sorry to hear about your throat issue. Hope it is soon rectified. xx
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    @woodbine Many congratulations to your daughter on her promotion. Great work! :)

Sending best wishes for the next stage of treatment, whichever route you and your consultant decide to go down. And very best wishes just in case Mrs Woodbine gets in there first. ;)

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 542 Pioneering
    @woodbine, so sorry to hear about the cyst. Hopefully it will be sorted once and for all next month. I’d run for the hills though before senior management gets sewing kit out!

Great news for your daughter ?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Wishing you all the best @woodbine

Bravo to your daughter on the promotion, great news. You must be so proud
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness