Interview reasonable adjustments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Interview reasonable adjustments

bopsi
bopsi Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2021 in Work and employment
Hi everyone. I am after some advice please. I work in the Civil Service and our interviews are difficult. Usually 4 competency style questions and 4 strengths based questions- in a timed environment. I have ME which causes cognitive issues, made worse under the stress of an interview. Although I prepare and have notes, I have trouble remembering the question once I've embarked on my answer. So my answers can seem off topic. I've tried repeating the question and jotting down the question but my brain just cannot hold all the information needed crammed into a short time frame. My brain also goes blank on the strength questions as it cannot drag up answers quick enough. I think I need to ask for some reasonable adjustments but not sure what to ask for. Would it be reasonable to ask to see questions 5 mins before interview? Any suggestions appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @bopsi welcome to scope, is this an interview for promotion?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Yes you can ask for reasonable adjustments but from what you say above I don't see how seeing them 5 min before would help 

It may help for the strength questions but 5 min wouldn't give you much time to prepare all the answers 

I would speak to those conducting the interview or the recruitment team as they may have come across this before and have an alternative solution 

Maybe you could have a timed session exam style before to make notes on questions 
  • bopsi
    bopsi Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited May 2021
    Hi @Woodbine,  thank you :).  I am trying to move into 'Policy' which is very competitive. I am trying either on level transfer or promotion. The memory problems in interview are making me think its safer to stick to level transfer (currently HEO)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @bopsi

Welcome to the community, glad you've joined us. 

Have you discussed the subject with the employer at all? They might be able to ffer potential adjustments themselves and you could have a constructive conversation to try and resolve matters.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness