TV Dizziness - What's Going On!? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

TV Dizziness - What's Going On!?

OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2021 in Sensory impairments
Ok, so I'm not sure this is a visual impairment as such, but I just don't understand what's going on.  It's almost as if my eyes are getting overwhelmed by too much light or something.  

My other issues are such that I'm not able to get to an opticians or anywhere else at the moment but hope to go later this year.  But I don't even know how I'd explain this and wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem...it would be ideal if I could put a name to it!  I do suffer from vertigo normally but this seems to be a new problem.

A few weeks ago I bought a larger TV...set it up on a new stand in the same place as the old one...but immediately got dizzy from the motion, got nauseous, and IBS was triggered.

Tried it again later that day with the same symptoms.  Tried my old small TV on the new stand...but the same thing happened!

I assumed the new stand was too low so just put the old stuff back exactly as it was and forgot about it for a couple of weeks (bigger issues to contend with!).

This week I ordered another new stand, same height as the old one but shorter in width as I need more space at the other end.  Set it all up this morning with the old TV.  Had lunch with the new stand in my vision (I say this because I think it rules out anxiety from change) no problem.  5pm I turned the TV on and you've guessed it, dizziness, nausea, IBS triggered!  

I can't eat without TV as a distraction (due to OCD) so had to put the old stand back as it was and made myself feel really unwell by the time was dinner was ready.  However, old TV on old stand, not causing the dizziness.

So what on earth is going on here!?  I just can't understand it, meaning I don't know what to try next.

The only difference that I can think of is that both new stands were wooden topped with painted sides and are quite 'light' in colour and solid at the sides  The old stand is black glass and open/shaddowy.  My last idea is to buy a shorter black glass one but if that causes the same issues I really will be stumped!! 

(Worth noting I can't wear glasses as the cause the same issue, and I'm wondering if the new cars that haven't been suitable are also causing the same issue...though I have a physically weak stomach anyway so it's hard to tell what's physical, what's visual and what's mental!)

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Some opticians do home visits now.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear this @OverlyAnxious is it only happening when the TV/TV stand is in your field of vision?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • OverlyAnxious
    woodbine said:
    Some opticians do home visits now.
    True, I can't cope with people in my property either unfortunately though. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Ami2301 said:
    Sorry to hear this @OverlyAnxious is it only happening when the TV/TV stand is in your field of vision?
    Yeah, it's only when there are moving pictures on the TV, even if it's a slightly shaky camera man. 

A totally static picture doesn't cause it.  And having the TV off doesn't cause it either.
  • Ami2301
    I'm just wondering if it could be that your eyes are trying to adjust to a bigger screen. What is it like when you watch things on your phone/computer/other device?

*I'm just clarifying that I'm not giving medical advice, I have experienced this before*
  • OverlyAnxious
    Ami2301 said:
    I'm just wondering if it could be that your eyes are trying to adjust to a bigger screen. What is it like when you watch things on your phone/computer/other device?

*I'm just clarifying that I'm not giving medical advice, I have experienced this before*
    Yeah, that's what I thought initially.  It's the same screen now though, that's the weird thing.  I gave up on the bigger screen, assuming that to be the problem - with less peripheral vision.

But now I'm still using my old TV (9 inches smaller) on two different new stands and they're causing the same issue.  On the newest stand it's literally the same screen at the same height and the same distance as it has been for the last 6 years, only the stand itself is a different colour/shape.  :|

I have to be very careful watching anything 'moving' on my phone screen, and can trigger vertigo by scrolling on it as well.  I use the laptop most of the time and seem to be generally ok with that...which is weird as surely that takes up much more of my vision that either a phone or TV does. 
  • Ami2301
    Hmm... I think it would be best to see your optician/GP. In the meantime, I hope it eases as it is horrible. Keep us updated :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    edited May 2021
    3rd attempt this morning...glass TV stand, same construction and colour as the other one, just smaller width. 

Initially thought it was going ok, before suddenly getting bad after a few minutes of Xbox.  And once again, couldn't shake the following panic symptoms until getting away from the situation, which in this case means changing it back as this ~2m square between my chair and TV is the extent of my comfort zone nowadays. :confused: 

So now I really don't know whether this is vision related or anxiety related.  I am getting more vertigo triggers this week (always seems to happen in late Spring oddly) but also having more anxiety triggers, some of which totally unexpected!  Aaaaaaargh!  :#
  • Ami2301
    Sorry to hear it happened again @OverlyAnxious I still think it would be best to see your GP/optician. I'm just trying to think with regards your anxiety and your comfort zone. Don't feel as if you have to answer if you're not comfortable with doing so, but how are you with changes? small or big? I'm asking because when my anxiety was at it's all time high, the slightest of change would cause havoc and cause physical symptoms. 

As I said, it would be best to speak to your GP :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    Ami2301 said:
    Sorry to hear it happened again @OverlyAnxious I still think it would be best to see your GP/optician. I'm just trying to think with regards your anxiety and your comfort zone. Don't feel as if you have to answer if you're not comfortable with doing so, but how are you with changes? small or big? I'm asking because when my anxiety was at it's all time high, the slightest of change would cause havoc and cause physical symptoms. 

As I said, it would be best to speak to your GP :)
    My GP causes more anxiety than anyone else so not an option at the moment.   :(  I can't really speak to any people which is a barrier to any understanding on their part.  I've been trying to get a support worker that can deal with me via email and has the time to build up a picture of my issues to explain to any medical people (GP, dentist, optician, therapists etc) but it seems it doesn't exist in my area until I've been detained.  So I guess that's something to look forward to... :expressionless:

I don't cope with change well at all mentally, but haven't previously experienced such severe physical symptoms from it.  Oddly though, I also changed my duvet cover for the first time in 6 years (just been washing and refitting the same one).  I live in a studio flat so it's always in my vision, and I had been worried about changing it after all this time.  Totally different colour and pattern than the old one but still darkish, knowing how sensitive my eyes are to light colours.  However, it hasn't caused any anxiety issues at all! 
  • Ami2301
    Ah, I'm sorry I didn't realise that causes anxiety for you. Is it only via email that you feel comfortable communicating with people with? I will have a search online to see if there is any organisations that could help you with getting a social worker, if you'd like me to? If not, I'll try and think of something else :) 
  • OverlyAnxious
    No problem.  I wouldn't say I feel comfortable using e-mail either (regularly put off checking the inbox for hours or even days) but that is the only way I can get information across fairly reliably.  I have been looking online myself over the last few weeks but if it's no trouble it wouldn't hurt for someone else to look as well.  :)
  • Ami2301
    No trouble at all :) have you found anything so far? Just so I know which ones you've looked at :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    I was directed towards Voiceability but it seems like that's only for people who have been detained or are in hospital etc.  I need a broader service that can work with me over many months to (hopefully!) tackle various health issues, physically and mentally. 

There's no CMHT in my area which is the service that seems to offer this type of thing for others.  I'm stuck with the integrated delivery team, who have been utterly useless for me over the last 5+ years.  They won't even use email themselves and have insisted on face to face assessments which have never worked.  Most recent one was Jan 2020, just before Covid, and I was essentially told that I wasn't trying hard enough and wasn't 'ready' for help because my physical issues (vertigo, nausea, bowel & bladder issues) stop me doing normal CBT sessions.  My problems have considerably worsened over the last 18 months and I'm no longer in a position to even get to their centre let alone speak to anyone there.  I can't use telephones without triggering physical issues with long term consequences either.
  • Ami2301
    Hi @OverlyAnxious how are things going? I just wanted to quickly say that I've not forgotten to have a search, it's just been a very hectic week and I will hopefully find something within the next couple of days :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    Hi Ami, not to worry, I'd forgotten myself!  :D

I have been looking online more and had a couple of suggestions from others but still haven't found any service that can be flexible enough for my conditions.  I really don't think it exists.  I fully appreciate why they'd want to see or speak to people normally, but when that's not possible without causing the physical issues that I'm constantly trying to avoid I'm really not sure what else I can do.

This week hasn't gone well at all if I'm honest, the physical issues were so severe over the weekend and into Monday that I couldn't go shopping at all on Monday morning for the first time in 6 years.  I did eventually get it done in the afternoon with a lot of discomfort but couldn't leave the house at all the next day, and made the mistake of trying to meet a relative outside my flat on the Thursday which caused all the same issues again, compounding the problems.  This heatwave is really the last thing I needed, I was sat up all night last night with nausea and reflux and my bowels just would not settle at all.  I know the idea behind any therapy will be to go out more and stay in situations longer but it's not going to be possible until there's a considerable reduction in the physical issues.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Just wanted to update this as I had the same experience with a new phone yesterday.

I tried to gently ease into it in 3 short bursts but by the third one I felt so nauseous I had to stop completely and swap back to my old phone again.

Even just trying to focus on the screen without any movement was too much.  So is it motion?  Or light?  Or screens?

Also had a similar issue, albeit to a lesser extent, sitting outside with trees and hedges all moving in the breeze earlier this week, and separately, cars passing while trying to walk along the pavement just outside my flat.  (Also worth noting I can't cope with loud noises, so large vehicles like busses passing always made me feel weird & wobbly before this.)

I still don't know whether this is a problem for a GP or an optician, but can't get to either now.  I'm in the process of trying to write an email to my GP.  My (ex) dietician is writing a follow up report to him so this seems like the best time with her report hopefully backing up the fact that I have far more problems than I've been able to get across to him so far.
  • Ami2301
    Sorry to hear this is continuing @OverlyAnxious when you mentioned about being outside, like trees moving, vehicles, etc - was it sunny? I apologise if you have mentioned this before, but do you struggle with motion sickness?
  • OverlyAnxious
    I don't think it was massively sunny but it would have been 'bright'.  I always wear dark wraparounds outside to remove as much brightness as possible.  However I also struggle with the dark, and even very dull (storm type) clouds & late dusk.  The way light falls over objects seems to have a big significance in this.  Though I'm not sure if that's partly a 'change' based thing - as the sun being in a different place means that I'm carrying out that task at an unusual time - if that makes any sense!  :D

As for motion illness - (yeah, I can't even type the word lol), I do get nauseous on every drive - but again I don't know how much is anxiety based and how much is physically based.  So far I haven't pushed it to the actual 'event' but that is the major worry and the main reason I barely drive at all now.  It would be catastrophic for me mentally if I was to have to go through an 'illness event' from either end now.   I know I wouldn't be able to cope with it even at home, let alone out somewhere.  It's all well and good people telling you to 'live in the moment', but this is something that WILL eventually happen and I have no reasonable plan for getting through.

My body seems to tease me as well (I don't get on with either my body or my brain...which makes life quite awkward lol)...  For over 15 years every time I've driven, and even back on the school bus, I'd get more and more nauseous, with my throat getting worse and worse, and my whole body shaking, feeling lightheaded etc until either reaching the destination or shortly before then 2 or 3 large belches come out and I feel some relief in the physical symptoms.  Obviously for the last 15 years I've been terrified about it being more than just gas though...  In 2018 this seemed to get much worse, with a lot more gurgling/growling/bubbling noises.  This also coincided with getting very nauseous if a meal was even a few minutes late - which has continued permanently since then.  I'm now at the point where I'm getting severely nauseous before meals twice a day for more than half of any week.  The only way I used to get through things was a major bowel clearout in the morning, followed by no food or drink for many hours until the event was over.  That stopped being possible in 2018.

The trouble is, I can't use public transport (for approx 10 years now) or even car lifts (for approx 6 years) as I can't deal with people socially or contaminated air/surfaces in the vehicle itself even when stationary, and then can't deal with any motion when it starts moving.  (I tried a couple of escalators to a roof garden in town 2 years ago, which was a terrible mistake and I had to wait over 10 minutes for my stomach to settle a bit before coming down, causing the same vertigo & nausea issues again!!  So escalators are another to add to the list...)  So this means I can only get to places by driving myself - supermarkets are the current priority, but also medical places when/if I'm ever able to get to them.  Because of the OCD issues, I can't trust shopping delivered so am having to keep driving to the supermarket each week despite finding it so difficult every time.  I'm genuinely not sure I'll be able to drive much longer, and have no idea what I can do about food when that happens.  I really just wish I could stop eating altogether, that would solve many of my problems!!

On a slightly different note...here's something interesting...  I bought a new Xbox Series X to replace my Xbox One recently.  Would be in the same place and connected to the same TV, but obviously the shape of the new console is different and is permanently in my eye-line (as the TV stand is).  Now, stupidly I leaned over the TV stand to plug it in (couldn't reach by just bending knees and keeping body upright), which allowed everything to shift around internally immediately and made me feel very nauseous for the rest of the night - major fail!  However, the sight of the box didn't cause any issues.  And the next day I played the only game I have left that doesn't cause vertigo (call of duty - due to the very steady camera view I think), and watched programmes through All4 and BBC Iplayer without any excess vertigo at all...  I don't know whether there should be any screen differences with the new console, or whether my TV is just too old so was already at 'max' with the old Xbox, but if this was a change thing, or even a screen thing, I was really expecting it to show up there.  BUT - I've also been messing with a Rubiks cube, and picking out jigsaw edge pieces, which did cause vertigo type issues.  It just doesn't make sense.

Sorry, I've written another novel there, I just really hate anything that I can't understand!!  :#
  • OverlyAnxious
    edited July 2021
    Over the last 24 hours this has massively affected my 'old' phone, laptop and TV.   :s

I've been trying to do them for just a few minutes at a time, but it's not happening.  Just makes me feel more and more nauseous every time I try.  Feels like a 'strain' but without a severe headache.  Got sunglasses on now but making no difference, if anything it's blurring the writing and making things worse.

I can't really drive or walk any more...I can't talk to people on the phone...what's left of my life is on my smartphone and laptop.  No idea what I can do if this doesn't pass.  :(

Brightness