Rail Reforms — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rail Reforms

Options
Garza
Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
edited May 2021 in Coffee lounge
The government have announced sweeping changes to the rail system in the UK, I was wondering what people thought about this news? I would link the article but not that tech savvy

Part of the proposal is an accessibility audit which I see as a good thing, however, until more spaces for wheelchair users are made available on trains I cant see myself using them any more than I already do which is rarely as I am  car driver which is much easier and convenient.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Changes are long overdue, most will not take affect until 2023 however changes to season tickets will take affect from this June.
    Sadly the railways like the NHS have become a political football and the new name GBR will fool no one, what we need is a rail network run for the benefit of it's users and not for profit.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Here's a BBC article about this topic, for those who didn't catch it, and here's another BBC article that explains what impact the changes might have, briefly mentioning the accessibility audit. 

Do you have any other suggestions on how rail travel could become more accessible for disabled people @Garza?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    Here's a BBC article about this topic, for those who didn't catch it, and here's another BBC article that explains what impact the changes might have, briefly mentioning the accessibility audit. 

Do you have any other suggestions on how rail travel could become more accessible for disabled people @Garza>
    Thank you @Tori_Scope this is the article I had read, for me the most helpful way to make trains more accessible would be to provide more than one space for a wheelchair user on each train, not much point having level access stations if only one person in a wheelchair can use standard class at at a time 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They are doing away with first class on most of the journeys except long distance, so hopefully this will make space for more wheelchair users?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness