Ready to leave my nest — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ready to leave my nest

tcellmutation
tcellmutation Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
Hope this is appropriate for the coffee lounge  :o

After 5 long years of being single I'm ready to explore the possibility of sharing my life with someone special. Where do people go these days?

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Hello @tcellmutation

Just to let you know - I've moved this chat to our 'Dating and relationships' category so people can better anticipate that it's related to that :)  It's lovely to hear you feel ready to find a partner to share your life with and as restrictions begin to ease, now is a perfect time!  

Although it's been a while since I ventured around the world of dating, I have a few ideas.  Internet dating is a great way of meeting people you wouldn't normally cross paths with and there's lots of reputable apps/dating sites you could use - how do you feel about that?  Also, do you have any specific interests where you could join clubs and meet others?  Having a mutual hobby is always a fab ice-breaker.  

Besides this, putting yourself 'out there' where possible and making conversation with others will begin to build your confidence.  From saying hello, to making chit chat at the supermarket queue, gentle exposure to new people will open up opportunities for starting a relationship.  It's all very exciting!  Please keep us posted with how you get on.  Good luck.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • tcellmutation
    Hello @tcellmutation

Just to let you know - I've moved this chat to our 'Dating and relationships' category so people can better anticipate that it's related to that :)  It's lovely to hear you feel ready to find a partner to share your life with and as restrictions begin to ease, now is a perfect time!  

Although it's been a while since I ventured around the world of dating, I have a few ideas.  Internet dating is a great way of meeting people you wouldn't normally cross paths with and there's lots of reputable apps/dating sites you could use - how do you feel about that?  Also, do you have any specific interests where you could join clubs and meet others?  Having a mutual hobby is always a fab ice-breaker.  

Besides this, putting yourself 'out there' where possible and making conversation with others will begin to build your confidence.  From saying hello, to making chit chat at the supermarket queue, gentle exposure to new people will open up opportunities for starting a relationship.  It's all very exciting!  Please keep us posted with how you get on.  Good luck.
    Are you dating?  :D
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community ?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @tcellmutation :D  Recently married, so I think so! Ha.  Have you given any more thought to exploring the dating world?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I use dating sites mainly due to lockdown and also as u can't get out much 

I did meet a lovely man and we had a on off relationship for 2 years 

Dating sites are OK but beware of all the fake profiles 

Don't give out your personal details 

Once you are comfortable make sure you at least speak on phone to them or video chat so you know they are who they say they are 
  • tcellmutation
    edited May 2021
    Met a girl last night on a dating app. She seems cool. When I say met, we have only texted so far. Will keep that going for a few days then get a phone call going. She seems keen. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That sounds hopeful @tcellmutation :) It's good to get talking to people and get your confidence up too. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • tcellmutation
    edited May 2021
    That sounds hopeful @tcellmutation :) It's good to get talking to people and get your confidence up too. 
    Hey Tori! ? I'm guessing you are married too? ;)
  • Tori_Scope
    Not quite @tcellmutation. How have you been getting on with the girl you've been speaking to? Have you been messaging today? 

• tcellmutation
    edited May 2021
    Not quite @tcellmutation. How have you been getting on with the girl you've been speaking to? Have you been messaging today? 
    We've been messaging but don't think she's what i'm looking for tbh. :(
  • Tori_Scope
    That's a shame, but there's plenty more fish in the sea @tcellmutation. It's worth remembering that people can sometimes come across differently on the dating apps than how they are in real life, so it can sometimes be worth chatting more or meeting up. You don't have to though of course! It can take some time to find the right person. 

Brightness