Mobile phones — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobile phones

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
Which network are you on and how much do you pay and what do you get for your money?
Do you have a basic phone? a smart phone? or a very posh phone?

I'm with Tesco have been for years now, £7.50 a month for 500 minutes/5000texts/and half a gig of data.
Has to be said I never use the data, rarely use all 500 mins and who would I send 5000 text to? I have a pretty standard smart phone supplied free.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I use Giffgaff which uses the O2 network. I pay £6 per month & get 500Mb data with unlimited mins & texts. Mine is a secondhand smart phone which my daughter-in-law gave me & I use a sim card. I've been with Giffgaff for years too.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I have EE network I pay 40.00 a month I have an s21 smart phone unlimited texts unlimited phone calls and unlimited data  I also get britbox on my package  and I get music and face time and free calls abroad I get a free phone when I upgrade  I can also share data  I upgrade every 12months 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I recently switched to Vodafone, and pay £8.00 per month for unlimited texts and minutes and 12GB of data, which I thought was a good deal (other networks are available etc.). I almost never text or call anyone, so I was looking more for the data package as I had 1GB before and found I really had to limit myself when listening to music or checking messages when out and about and so on.

I also recently bought myself a new smartphone. I didn't want to pay loads and wouldn't use any particularly fancy features, but I did want one with more storage, better RAM, and general higher performance than the one I had before as it had gotten painfully slow. I got it on sale for less than the RRP, so that was another plus. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I am on ee pay £27 a month unlimited text , calls don't know how much data bit never use it all 
    Get upgrade every 18 months have Samsung phone due upgrade next month 

Also have contract for toby £45 ,a month with iPhone xs on ee as well
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I have a "grandfathered" plan which you can't get anymore - I get 100mb free data a month and only pay when I make a call or send a text message, or use more data than the 100mb.

I top up £10 and that usually lasts a good 6-9 months. I last topped up some time in 2020.

• closeencounter
    closeencounter Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I have a sky mobile contract which is £22 a month for an iPhone 11 i have got 2 of these which is a good deal for me and family. I also have a £5 a month sim only contract which gives 1 GB data, unlimited mins & unlimited txts. I think they are all a good deal together. A lot less than some of my family pay for just the one phone
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I have a very basic mobile phone and pay as you go with Tesco. I spent ten pounds on credit a couple of years ago and I’m still in credit by about six pounds or more I’d guess. 

What can can I say, hoorah for parsimony! ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tori_Scope how did you manage 8.00? I'm with Vodafone too and plan on cancelling the contract I have when it runs out. I have a Samsung Galaxy A50
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • lou87
    lou87 Community member Posts: 48 Connected
    I'm on ee pay as you go £10 a month every 3 months you get a free boost of minutes data or texts i get 300 minutes unlimited texts and 12.5gb date plus you can roll so much data over i have a Samsung phone s8 about 6yrs old now but does me fine ?
    ?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I should say that's a SIM only deal @Ami2301. I bought my handset outright from a different online store.

I used MoneySupermarket to find a comparison of some of the best deals for what I wanted. They have a basic package of 1GB and then have 'add-ons', so this deal had the remaining 11GB as add-ons at no (or very little, I don't remember exactly) extra cost. It's a 12 month contract. I'd definitely recommend using one of the free comparison sites though, or at least shopping around a bit for the best deals of the month.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    leeCal said:
    I have a very basic mobile phone and pay as you go with Tesco. I spent ten pounds on credit a couple of years ago and I’m still in credit by about six pounds or more I’d guess. 

What can can I say, hoorah for parsimony! ?
    Wow I thought I'd won :D
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tori_Scope thank you, I will definitely have a look :) 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    I have a smart Huawei Phone there really good unlimited text, calls and a lot of data not sure exact amount as due for upgrade paying 21 a month on EE
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm on a real PAYG tariff myself, none of this rolling monthly 'bolt on' modernity!  

I last topped up £10 in 2018.  Probably am due another top up this year so better get saving!

It's 3p a minute calls, 2p a text, 1p per MB of data.  I probably spend a few hours on it each day (mostly passing time on the loo!) but all on wifi.  I never make phone calls at all.  Send around 10 texts a year.  The only thing I pay for is a bit of data to pay for fuel using an app on the phone instead of having to go into the kiosk.

I do have a smart phone but it's a budget model paid outright.  Only thing is I wish it had a better camera - my last phone (also budget and the same make!) had a better camera, but this one is so poor I rarely take any photos nowadays.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    One thing we have done because we both have lots of minutes is to disconnect our landline phone stopped sales calls instantly, sadly we still need to pay £22 a month for it for the internet.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Yes I don't even  have a landline phone to plug in any more, but I still pay for the line for Internet. To be honest was always a sales call every time I answered it. No point. Plus every one uses mobiles to call.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 542 Pioneering
    I’ve got an iPhone 8, passed to me from my son. Sim only deal with 02, £20.00 a month, unlimited calls and texts. No idea about data or where to find it on phone lol.

@chiarieds, yours is a great deal.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Leigh14 - more info here: https://www.giffgaffed.com/  I have the lowest value 'goodybag' as they call them (£6 a month as mentioned). Every month you get a breakdown of your usage & recommendations, tho I've always been fine on this goodybag. Might be worth looking into as they use O2 as well.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I have found EE realy good during full lockdown I was in a bit of a mess with my bills and EE have given me half price for next 6 months  and have been realy help full 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    edited May 2021
    People all have differing experiences. I’m with EE for my mobile phone and broadband. Been with them for my mobile since about 2015 and broadband since 2017 and I’ve never had issues or problems and their CS is always amazing. 

On the other hand I’ve heard other people share negative experiences with EE. 

I’ve also had negative experiences with other providers previously whereas others might not have. 

Brightness