Hi, I'm Diane1961! Will I still be entitled to my benefits after I start receiving a pension? — Scope | Disability forum

Hi, I'm Diane1961! Will I still be entitled to my benefits after I start receiving a pension?

Diane1961 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I currently get ESA PIP and rent/council tax help I will be receiving £690 a month in September from a pension awarded to me in a divorce will I still be entitled to the ESA PIP AND RENT/council tax Benefits thank you


  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,414

    Scope community team

    Hi @Diane1961 and a warm welcome to our online community, how are you today?

    Your PIP won't be affected as that isn't means-tested.  However the other benefits will be.

    If it is contributions based or new-style ESA you receive, then your ESA will be reduced by 50% of anything over £85 per week. If it is income-related ESA you get, then it will be affected £ for £ and the same for your housing benefit.  

    I hope that makes sense?  Please let us know if you have any other questions.  Also, just to advise - I've tweaked the title of your thread and moved it to our 'What benefits am I entitled to?' category so others can better spot it.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,783 Disability Gamechanger
    When you start receiving the pension you must inform ESA and your local authority benefits department.

    Do you know if your ESA is all income based or part or all contribution based? How much ESA do you receive?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.