Interesting BBC article about disabled consumers. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Interesting BBC article about disabled consumers.

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Good to see big hitters like Apple, BP and Coke joining the scheme, that can only be a positive!
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • rox001
    rox001 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    I would like to see Local Councils sign up to this too. My Husbands Council treat him terribly. He’s disabled and awfully sick with it and they have no consideration at all for him ?
  • woodbine
    @rox001 I must admit my local council have always been very positive towards me as a disabled person and very helpful.

• griff11
    griff11 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    So a friend who is house bound asked me to pick up some knickers from Primark from then.  Did so but she didn't like the multipack I'd picked up as she said the looked/felt different to what she was expecting from my photo /description!   I can't return then as Primark doesn't allow.  She said to me that Primark are excluding disabled people who send carers shopping for undies as M&S, Next etc allow returns.  I felt guilty so said I'd keep them - they won't fit me but usually once a year I donate new undies/PJ/toiletries to my local hospital who use them for patients admitted with nothing!  
    Is this discrimination?  I think she has a choice where to shop but she's really annoyed about . 
  • woodbine
    If Primark don't allow anybody to return such items then it's not discrimination, if they didn't allow disabled people to return them then it would be.

• griff11
    But is it about making reasonable adjustments ?  A cafe can ban dogs for everyone but allow working dogs !  That's a reasonable adjustment ?   A genuine question as I just dismissed her rant but now I'm doubting I was fair to do so.  I suggest supermarket pants as cheap but I was told I was missing the point !
  • woodbine
    edited May 2021
    Sorry but its nothing to do with RA or even dogs for that matter, what would you have Primark do with returned underwear? they couldn't sell it could they? It's like earrings no store allows them to be returned unless faulty.

• griff11
    Well marks, next etc accept returns of underwear.  
  • e_evans
    e_evans Community member Posts: 2 Connected
     I think the point of what discrimination is all about in relation to disabilities.has been misinterpreted here.  

it is NOT about delivering exactly the same service to everyone on the planet. 

Discrimination is about failing to adapt the delivery of your service to meet the needs of someone with a disability so that, in effect, you are creating a barrier to that person being able to access the same level of service as the general population.

Sadly many people interpret  discrimination in the way that is described above, which causes huge problems for the disabled community.
  • m_burrell82
    m_burrell82 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 171 Pioneering
    Firms like Vodafone seem to move in the opposite direction. I needed a "photo ID" if I was going to go in their shop. A approved "photo ID" in this country is either a Driving Licence or a Passport. I can't drive on medication and don't have a current Passport. I'm someone who could just do with being given straight forward help and advice, instead of trying to get hold of someone on a phone and/or online.  

I have come to realise that the introduction of a National ID card is the only way we can all get in to places we should be able to get in to,if uncaring organisations just slap down ridiculous rules like this.   It is the same issue if we need a "photo ID" to vote. I don't believe anyone would really bother to falsely vote for someone else.
  • woodbine
    Most companies would accept an out of date passport as it proves all that an upto date one does.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't know if you have one @m_burrell82 - but I've found a current Blue Badge is also accepted, as I don't have a passport, & just an old paper driving licence, which has my last address on it. My Blue Badge has been accepted by a Building Society & solicitors. More recently it was accepted by Estate agents, tho I said it was daft they then had a photo of me, but would never meet me to confirm my identity. Also by my daughter's solicitors whom I was gifting money to, & they had to confirm where the money had come from, & exactly where I'd got it from (anti-money laundering concerns); again they accepted my Blue Badge, tho again they wouldn't see me.
  • woodbine
    We never had money laundering when i was a lad, mind you we didn't have much money to launder  :)

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Why do you need photo ID to go in a Vodafone shop or have I read it wrong ?
  • Philip
    Philip Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    edited May 2021
    (a section of this post has been removed by a moderator, for containing multiple references, or indicators, of a specific workplace)
    I was forced out of my employment due to my physical and mental disabilities, I was bullied and harrased by two managers, for having the audacity for going on sick leave with my disabilities, after making an attempt on my life, I lasted a few weeks until I was accused of threatening one of the managers with violence, I broke down, cleared my desk and went sick for as long as possible before I gave up and resigned, I'm not the only one this happened too, it happened in other offices around the country. (Removed by moderator, reference to specific workplace)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Philip

Thank you for disclosing what happened to you, that sounds awful. I have sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk, it would be great if you could give it a read and get back to us.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    edited June 2021
    I'll believe it when I see it. Are their websites even accessible to disabled people and following the accessibility guidelines created by W3C? I think not.

Brightness