How long does it normally take after a work capability assessment to hear back about the outcome? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long does it normally take after a work capability assessment to hear back about the outcome?

mick34uk
mick34uk Community member Posts: 11 Connected
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everyone just wondering how long it normally takes after an work capability assessment to hear back about the outcome? I had my assessment on the 28th January, I keep checking my journal and my partner tried calling but they said they haven't received anything back and that it's a separate company so they don't have any information. Thanks

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

They say it takes around 8 weeks bit that is just a guide 

Don't always take what they say at the call centre as being right info 

It is a long time for them not to have had the report back . It is possible It has been randomly selected to go to audit which does delay it . The audit is an internal check on the assessor not you 

If it hasn't gone back to dwp then call the assessment provider to see what is happening 
  • mick34uk
    Thank you will wait alittle longer. If still have not heard anything by later this week I will ring the assessment provider.
  • mick34uk
    Hi, I contacted the assessment provider and they sent off my report to the dwp on the same day Jan 28th. My partner tried calling universal credit but the woman didn't even ask who I was she just said there is a big backlog and I will just have to wait and keep alook out on my journal. Just my anxiety thinking about all this. Is this a normal length of time as its nearly 4 months. Thanks
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    To be fair there is no normal timeframe, its awful waiting for a decision but you need to try and stay relaxed. 
  • mick34uk
    Thanks MarkN88 trying my best :)
  • mick34uk
    Update...still waiting 17 weeks now, I'm starting to think I will never hear back about it ?
  • Hartnsoul
    Hartnsoul Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    I had my assessment by phone in December and got the result in Feb, but they decided my condition had magically vanished and I was fit for work. I have appealed the decision as sadly my permanent condition has not disappeared! I wish it had. 
    No news may be good news in your case. My previous assessments took months and my ESA incl disability continued. Writing you off appears to be a quicker process so Id take a longer wait as a better sign. 
  • jpjpjp7777
    jpjpjp7777 Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    hi ihad a phone assesment thursday the 27 th may received outcome 2day  the 30th
  • mick34uk
    The only thing I can do is wait I guess as when my partner contacts them they just say there is nothing showing on the system or its with another department or they are backlogged due to the pandemic, which I totally understand it just seems like a really long time. How long should I wait before I should get worried? as its got my ill with waiting. Thanks
  • jpjpjp7777
    it does seem a long time your waiting i woud ring this number wca people 08002888777 and ask 4 any uodate.
  • mick34uk
    My partner rang that number they said they sent my assessment report off to dwp on the 28th January
  • jpjpjp7777
    ok so maybe try ringing uc on 08003285644 and ask them 4 any update
  • mick34uk
    Will give them a try again tomorrow. Thanks :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great, well done @mick34uk :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • josie1
    josie1 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    mick34uk said:
    Update...still waiting 17 weeks now, I'm starting to think I will never hear back about it ?
    Hi had my assessment week later got the decision letter very quick.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    josie1 said:
    mick34uk said:
    Hi had my assessment week later got the decision letter very quick.

The original date of this thread was a year ago and they did post back saying they had the decision.
    mick34uk said:
    Finally got a letter on my journal today and I've been awarded lcwra

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Carly67
    Carly67 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I had a phone appointment yesterday after waiting 5mths  how long will I after wait for a decision 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    Carly67 said:
    I had a phone appointment yesterday after waiting 5mths  how long will I after wait for a decision 

If that was the work capability assessment then decisions are anything up to 12 weeks. If you're claiming UC and have a journal, once the decision is made the letter will be uploaded onto your journal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Richteachouxsnack
    Richteachouxsnack Community member Posts: 37 Listener
    Did you need to visit your work coach while waiting for a decision or supply further fit notes? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.