Disappointing day — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disappointing day

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
We had it all planned off to see daughter and grandson for first time in 9 months and the trains we wanted were cancelled due to "shortage of staff", be another 2 weeks now before we can see them  :'(

To top it all off we had a pipe under the house that had been leaking fixed on Friday, and yup you guessed it it's leaking again now !

But on a positive note after an overcast and almost foggy start the day got better weather wise and by lunchtime not a cloud in the sky.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    That’s a great shame you couldn’t see them today, commiserations.

The weather was nice here today too, and were set for a few more nice days to come by all accounts. 

I hope your pipe gets fixed asap ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    That's a real shame your plans didn't work out but every cloud has a silver lining at least that's what they say 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine Hello and aww, I'm sorry the trains put a stop to your plans  :( That's really tough luck.  I hope you when you do meet you get the biggest cuddles off your grandson.

How's it going today?  Better I hope.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    @Cher_Scope thanks, the best laid plans and all that, at least the plumber came out and sorted our leak (third time lucky?)
    Hope you are enjoying the sunshine?

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine Fingers crossed that leak behaves itself!  Ah thank you,  I'm enjoying the sunshine in short intervals and have even convinced him indoors to get me some ice lollies.  I hope you manage to catch a few rays too :) 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    I have come to learn not to get too excited about things until they actually happen because any number of things outside of your control can spoil the event. That goes for anyone, but especially people with issues (such as disability) that most people don't have. On the flip side, lots of things can happen with no forward planning and you end up really enjoying them.

I appreciate for some disabled people planning is a necessity so may not be totally relevant to all on here but just some food for thought.

PS glad you at least got the leak (hopefully) sorted out.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine, we have to be thankful for technology, my grandson is away in Scotland and he still face-times me. I had a tour of the house using his dad’s iPad bit of a dizzy five minutes but always a pleasure to have a chat with the younger generation who know when your teasing.
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    We have a leaky shower. It practically rotted a ceiling beam and we had to have the kitchen ceiling torn down and move out for two weeks. The house was a total mess. Then we had a wonderful walk-in shower fitted and a new bathroom suite. along with a new kitchen. Thank God for house insurance. It cost thousands.
    Guess what it leaked again. 
    Now after two attempts it still leaks. The bathroom will have to be uprooted once again. that is what is stopping me, along with who to trust to do it. Workmen today don't seem to have the commitment they once had, or the skill.
    Still, I look on the bright side, and the sun is shining. 

I hope you get to see your grandkids very soon.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    That sucks, @woodbine ! Hope the time passes quickly, and the leak.... Magically plugs itself?  ;)
  • woodbine
    The news gets worse i'm afraid, grandaughter came yesterday supposed to be staying till weekend has decided she wants to go home tomorrow as she wants to go out with her mates, and found out today that senior managements mum who has been in hospital for 2 weeks isn't expected to get better, her dementia is off the scale and she can't take food or liquid by mouth now as she starts to choke, she has also got phnumonia and a chest infection that anti-biotics seems incapable of clearing up, the doctors said today it's less than 50/50.
    SM has been given permission to see her tomorrow for half an hour.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine sorry your news isnt getting any better 
    Kind thoughts to you and sm 
  • woodbine
    @janer1967 thank you.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine sorry to hear things haven't got better our familys grow up get their own lives sorry to hear about your wife's mum  I have empathy my mum is deteriorating  and it scares me  I have no words  to console  hope that your wife copes and stays strong ?❤
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear that things are piling up at the minute @woodbine, I do hope that you were able to enjoy the short time with your grandaughter, and hopefully you get to see her again very soon.

As mentioned above by Lisa, I hope your wife (SM) is coping okay, I hope you both are in fact. Wishing you all the best
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @woodbine - I'm also sorry to read this. My thoughts & prayers are with you both & SM's Mum.
  • woodbine
    Thank you, as ever support from scope members means so much x

Brightness