We will remember them. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

We will remember them.

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
Tomorrow (Sunday 6th) marks the 77th anniversary of the "D Day" landings, the youngest people to take part will now be 95 years old and I would imagine there can't be that many survivors left now.

But we all of us owe a debt of gratitude to those who fought so hard to bring an end to WW2 and the Nazi tyranny.

We will remember them.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Here here @woodbine

we will remember them. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Options
    @woodbine
    Well said.
    We will and should remember them.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this thread @woodbine it is so important that we never forget all those who fought for our freedom. I know I share this on Remembrance Sunday but I feel the words are so powerful. 

They shall not grow old, 
    As we that are left grow old, 
    Age shall not weary them, 
    Nor the years condemn,
    At the going down of the sun, 
    And in the morning, 
    We will remember them 

Thank you.

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,432 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
         My father was there in 1944 at the age of 21. He never talked about it, sadly I lost him 13 years ago so all the stories went with him. I instilled in my children the importance of remembering what he and many thousands of others did for us, and in turn they are now teaching their children( whom my father never got to meet.)
        My grandson recently became "The Keeper of the Medals"  which my grandfather and father earned in WW1 and WW2 so their memories will live on. 
  • WestHam06
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this @vikingqueen, it's vitally important that we ensure no generation forgets what so many thousands gave for us. I am sorry for the lost of your father and I will be forever grateful for what he and many thousands did for us. Thank you. 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,432 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
         Thank you @WestHam06. If I told you the stories my father did tell me you would think it was a walk in the park, throughout it all the men and women still found time for humour and some of the tales he told had me in stitches laughing, only as I got older did I realise he couldn't tell the true story.
         He bought a poppy every year but on remembrance Sunday he never turned the tv on he said he only had to close his eyes to remember.  
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• WestHam06
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that with us @vikingqueen, they certainly were a remarkable generation in terms of how, even in what must have been unimaginably difficult times, they managed to create memories of humour, kindness and love. We must never, ever forget what they did for us. I can only imagine how difficult remembering that time must have been for your father. Thank you. 

Brightness