Using Covid as an excuse! — Scope | Disability forum

Using Covid as an excuse!

Sorry_Susan
Sorry_Susan Member Posts: 58 Courageous
Since lockdown started we have tried to access (free) mobility scooters at High Elms Country park near our house. The story is that they cannot accept new users as they cannot supply training due to Covid. I find this ridiculous as the training will be outside and people can wear masks - shops are open, restaurants are open. I am so frustrated! Right through lockdown disabled people and their carers have been shafted - I have not had any respite since the first lockdown.
Aargh! I cannot take this any more.

Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,757 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I am sorry to hear this I do tend to agree that it seems like some services have used it as an excuse bit you need to bear in mind staff shortages and staff having to work from home and also provide care for children etc 

Hopefully things are getting a bit more back to normal 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Susan, I get you entirely! So many things are impossible to access or do, due to "these difficult times". I am sick of hearing that excuse!
    Love Polly xx
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,790 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m not a fan of this idea that C19 is an excuse and that somehow services are looking for a reason to not provide services. It doesn’t tend to stack up. The fact that this specific service is outside, distanced socially etc. is nothing to the point. A service is not going to tell you “by the way we can’t currently do this because…”

- our staff member is in hospital on a ventilator.
    - our staff member has died.
    - our staff member is caring for someone who is terminally ill.
    - our staff member has young children and no care available. 

These are a small sample of legitimate reasons I have seen public and private sector services be unable to deliver what they could previously in the past 15 months. You have no right to know this.

It is useful sometimes to remember that organisations are not monoliths run by robots who are completely different to you and I. They’re not run by people who have magically developed an immunity to C19 completely separately to the rest of the population. What affects you affects them and likely more so. Yes, the lack of some provision can be upsetting and even life changing but it doesn’t mean it’s been done for no reason or to personally inconvenience you. 

I wish I could describe to you the face of the person who complained that my local railway station had had no ticket office open for 7 days when they were advised to their face that the reason for this was that the person who normally ran it had lost his wife and child to C19 and didn’t really feel up to selling tickets.
  • Sorry_Susan
    Sorry_Susan Member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Thank you for your comment @mikehughescq. I had not given that side of it any though. I guess there is always two sides to any story.
    I did however manage to get confirmation from High Elms country park that the service would resume on 28 June. Yeah! Tried to book a tramper this morning only to be told that it was not available after all. Turns out that the 'risk assessment' was done but not passed on to the staff who should be aware of it!? Nope, the staff involved are not off and turned out to be at work after I started asking to speak to a manager.

Brightness