PIP seems to have been reduced after review, but we haven't had an award letter. Is this normal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP seems to have been reduced after review, but we haven't had an award letter. Is this normal?

Luna51
Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone,

Just a quick question - PIP renewals
My daughter has Learning Difficulties, Autism, OCD and Tics* (Tourettes deemed most likely by a neurologist as she has a long history of echolalia, grimacing etc, etc but we are still waiting for more support to confirm this) 

So, we had the usual 'extention of PIP' letter then the renewal form. I then sent in said renewal form with the new changes (Her tics have increased greatly during the part two years and affect her concentration and life in a new challenging ways) but everything else is the same as before. No change, of course I supported this all with old and new information.
Her PIP payment is due this Thursday, last Thursday we had a payment of £326 instead of the usual £445 (do forgive me it's around that for enhanced rate care/low mobility)
No letter to explain the payments yet (is this normal?) 
It seems we are now on standard rate/low mobility? 
I am utterly gobsmacked at what seems is a reduction in her payments.
Is this the normal now, do they just reduce the claim every time even when things are worse, they did this to us just over two years ago but then agreed with the MR and awarded her enhanced rate once more.
I could cry as I know its more paperwork, more time trying to convince someone who has never met my daughter she has these difficulties. Honestly, don't we as carers go through enough already? It really drags me down.. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling like this.. ☹️

Comments

• Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    edited June 2021
    Just my tuppence worth I believe the whole process needs to seriously looked at being changed because it really is shocking just how many people are negatively affected by it and people who are already unwell or looking after those who are do not need any added/extra stress put on them? :disappointed: I know obviously it won't ever be something that's enjoyable however I genuinely think more needs to be done about the sheer amount of people who are being dragged through all this negativity and anxiety etc I just don't know how they are getting away with it for so long... People are almost always expecting to have to appeal etc and that's not right? Yes we need to prove what's happening and give evidence if need be but it almost seems like people are being deliberately turned down to see if they will take it further or give up because a heck of a lot of vulnerable or already struggling people are unlikely to push further they just give up and it isn't fair! :disappointed:
    Sorry all very negative and no help to you at all but it's been building up in me for weeks now and as I said somewhere else yesterday there's only so much positive thinking I can do!
    Even your situation now... Its crazy to me that if someone wants to add extra issues onto say the mobility part of their pip claim because its got worse there why does the entire claim get looked at again?? Why should people possibly lose what they have just because they need more help? It doesn't make sense to me that a benefit that's supposed to help vulnerable people is taken away in so many situations and it puts the person or people through so much illness and stress the whole thing is just not working right but again that's just my opinion! I guess I should be more grateful pip is even available here? And I was grateful until it all got snatched away from me a few months ago! Now I am living in this constant state of anxiety and not knowing what's happening next or how long until I find out etc it's exhausting! Just one of them days for me I think! Very hot and I tried but couldn't get through to pip and I am now in self pity mode lol take care hun and stay safe! 
    Good luck with everything! :smile:
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

You sometimes get back payment b4 the letter so the amount you had last week could be back payment for increased award 

I would see if she gets a payment on thu before you assume her award has been reduced 

Or ring them and ask what is happening 

I may be wrong of course only pip can tell you 
  • Luna51
    I totally agree Emilyb81 - I am sorry you have been through the shambles of claiming PIP too. I really don't know what to say, I wish I could say it'll get better and someone is listening in Government, but we know it won't in the foreseeable and they aren't.
    I send my very best wishes to you, just keep going with it, truth will out as they say and you will get back everything they owe you. X
  • Luna51
    And thank you janer1967
    You're right, I really should ring, if no letter by Friday, I'm going to. ? 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Luna51 - if the award was at the standard rate for both care & mobility it would come to £334.80, so, if it wasn't that exact amount, I think you can rule out that your daughter's award has currently been decreased. Hopefully she therefore receives her normal payment on Thursday,
  • Luna51
    Hi @chiarieds
    Thank you for this, I am hopeless at working the money out, I do hope this will be the case. I will update here when I eventually get the letter.. Thank you all, its really good to know I'm not alone in all of this.. ? 
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Lol that's brilliant news hun! ???
    Its so nice to see good/positive news on here! There is hope after all ? have a fab day! Xx
  • Luna51
    Thank you Emily.. ?

There is hope and you must keep going with your claim, keeping everything crossed for you too..  X ♥️
  • chiarieds
  • Luna51
  • janer1967
    Great news I thought that would be what had happened but you can never be certain  

Thanks for the update 
  • Luna51
    Thank you @janer1967

I do feel a bit silly losing my rag over this, now knowing the award has been increased.
    So, next time I'll come straight here and ask for advice! ?

Take care and thanks again. 
  • janer1967
    @Luna51 no problem it's not as easy to look at when you are close to the situation and understandable you were unsure 

At least its all sorted now 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Awesome, well done @Luna51 :) And there's no need to apologise!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Luna51
    Just another little update. 

I have just got off of the phone to the DWP (after waiting just over an hour to get through!) regarding my daughter's award letter as we still haven't had it yet. 
    The nice guy checked this for me after saying "Yes, a letter would've been sent out by now, but we are having nationwide problems with the postal service"
    After a few minutes silence he came back to me.. "Ermm, no it hasn't been sent out, I will get back to the decision maker now and get them to send it out, this seems to be happening to the younger ones and I'm not sure why!" 
    "Oh dear, that's a bit worrying isn't it?" I replied ? 

Needless to say, I'm glad I checked!

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Luna51 said:
    ...this seems to be happening to the younger ones and I'm not sure why!
    Would be amusing if it wasn’t so serious.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Luna51
    I couldn't help but wonder if you're not happy with the decision, you only have a month after that decision to request a MR don't you? 

Or, is it a month after the letter is sent out?

It is really worrying isn't it? 

• chiarieds
    Hi @Luna51 - it would be 1 month from the date on a decision letter.
  • Luna51
    Hello again @chiarieds ?

GOOD GRIEF! 
    That's even more worrying because her first (back payment) payment went in on the 3rd!

(For the record, I probably won't be requesting a MR as her award has seemingly increased, but that's not the point here) 

I wonder how many others are waiting for letters that won't be arriving on time ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.