A sad time for us — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A sad time for us

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
Sadly Julie's (senior management) mum has today been put on end of life pallative care in hospital, she has had vascular dementia now for around 8 years, when she was admitted to hospital 2 weeks ago the care home informed us that they didn't want her back, they hadn't told us that she had been verbally and physically abusive to the staff and other residents. They also didn't tell us that she had aquired a pressure sore !
I have my fingers crossed that she doesn't pass away on Thursday which is SM 60th birthday (shhh).
Were it not for my MIL I would never have married her wonderful daughter as we had a false start and she put her two penneth in and sorted us out !

She has had an amazing life, leaving school at 15 she became a nursery nurse, then the only female employee in a chain of butchers shops, she then went with her husband to do 3 three year tours while he worked in Africa, at one point she worked for the president of Botswana. 
On their return and at the age of 46 she trained to be a nurse and worked for 20 years in hospitals and care homes nursing the elderly.

She was generous beyond measure, our kids would not have been as well dressed without her help, nor would they have had as many holidays !
This week will be a sad time for us, but we will be happy to know that at last her suffering is over, I wouldn't wish dementia on my worst enemy it's an awful awful disease.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to here this @woodbine I have empathy for you and your wife as my mum has dementia which is getting worse its an awful disease ? 

My thoughts are with you and your wife and as always here for you if you need to talk 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    You must have mixed feelings about this.....dementia is indeed dreadful, but you remember the amazing person she was before this occurred, so this will be a very sad few days for you both. Thinking about you all, & in my prayers.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry @woodbine to hear about your mil and my sympathy goes out to you and senior management 

You will always have your memories of better times with her 

Thinking of you both take care 
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Sorry to hear about this @woodbine.
    My Auntie had vascular dementia and it was dreadful watching a previously strong, capable lady become like a ghost, unable even to speak. It did feel like a blessed relief when she passed away because we had already been mourning the loss of the person we once knew. 
    Sorry that your family has to go through this.
    Sending you my best wishes and prayers. 
  • Justcheckingin15
    Justcheckingin15 Community member Posts: 370 Pioneering
    Sorry to read this @woodbine, It truly is an awful..long..drawn out disease..that we mourn the person they were....long before they pass
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear this @woodbine. She sounds like a lovely lady, who lived an impressive life full of generosity and caring for others. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Ah, I am sorry to hear of your sadness. Your mum in law sounds like a wonderful woman.
    Dementia is such a cruel disease....as are most others, but it really diminishes all of that person  you know.
    But it will never take away all her wonderful achievements and what she did for your family.

Bless her and bless your whole family.

Pollyxxxx

• woodbine
    Thank you all for your kind words of support, they mean a lot to both of us xx

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    I'm really sorry to hear of your sad news @woodbine my thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time. Thank you.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    My own mother died in the late stages of dementia so I know how it changes a person beyond recognition, its heartbreaking. 

You and your wife have my deepest sympathy.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine how is your mother in law doing  and hope you and your wife are well and copeing the best way you can 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,828 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to read about your mother in law its not easy going through it all
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Thoughts with you @woodbine, it sounds like it must be hard to go through for you all.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to read about this. It sounds like she lived a great life and had some very interesting experiences. She also sounds like a very noble person who put others before herself. I have and had family members with dementia so I know how cruel it is. I think that we lose our loved one when they get the disease, when they pass away it's just their body and almost a release for them as we lost them long ago. Sorry I'm not that sensitive with words so that may sound a bit crass. I like how it was put above that we mourn the person long before they pass away. I hope your wife is doing OK.
  • woodbine
    @woodbine how is your mother in law doing  and hope you and your wife are well and copeing the best way you can 
    SM saw her mum today, not good news a matter of days It would seem, hoping it's not tomorrow as SM is 60.

• Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine sorry to hear that I hope it doesn't happen on your wife's birthday but I would assume maybe wrongly that it may still have a impact  have you arranged to do nice things for your wife's birthday she is a lucky lady to have you and you to have her its a tough time for both of you ? x
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh dear @woodbine - pleased SM saw her Mum again, & hope she doesn't lose her tomorrow.....hope she can enjoy her birthday a little, xx
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine sorry things are not looking on the bright side 

Wish sm a very happy birthday from me 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Did senior management manage to have an okay birthday @woodbine? I hope you're all feeling okay. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness