Have you had to wait excessively long for your new driving licence despite applying in good time? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have you had to wait excessively long for your new driving licence despite applying in good time?

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger

Has your GP refused to sign a letter that allows you to drive until your new licence comes through? A leading consumer TV show wants to find out more.

Researchers from the TV show are looking into the complaints of disabled drivers who've had their licenses expire despite seeking a renewal from the DVLA several months before. The DVLA are working through quite the backlog, but it’s left many disabled road users with expired licences.

Many disabled people are being told by the DVLA that if they seek permission from their doctor that they are medically fine to drive, they can continue to do so even with an expired license. This comes from Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Your doctor must have told you that you are fit to drive. If your doctor is unsure about how a medical condition affects driving, they should refer to ‘Assessing fitness to drive – a guide for medical professionals’ here on the gov.uk website, with more information available in this DVLA leaflet

Some initial research shows that, whilst people's GPs are more than happy to provide the requisite medical information to the DVLA, they're unwilling to give this level of sign off on a person’s ability to drive. 

Despite this, the DVLA specifically says 

You and your doctor are in the best position to consider the Section 88 criteria and to decide whether you should drive while you are waiting for a licence to be issued.

Is this something you've experienced?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
Tagged:

Comments

• outlaw666
    outlaw666 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Its very Simple, do not get your GP involved, your gp will only decide if you are fit to drive if you ask them. ...the dvla will only ask you if your disability affects your ability to drive (that's up to you to decide)  if your disability does not affect your ability to drive safely (up to you to decide) ...why bother telling your gp or the dvla ...just drive . 

• kelics
    kelics Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
    My neuroligist approved it im pretty sure, been waiting for my license for over 2 months i think
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    I applied to renew my license and update my photo at the end of March. Now into the 21st of July  and still waiting. There is a backlog of over a million to get through but it looks like they need a new man at the helm to sort the mess out.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• kelics
    kelics Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
    My license expired a month ago, applied roughly 5 months ago, still waiting...
  • Duninn
    Duninn Community member Posts: 184 Pioneering
    My licence went in on time for renewal on29/3 - got a letter a month ago to say my Consultant hasn’t responded so until he does their Doctor won’t sign it off! Contacted MS Nurse asking they follow it up 
  • exdvr
    Read my response above dated 21/7.....still waiting.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Tori_Scope
    The opportunity I posted about has now finished, but thank you both for sharing your experiences. I'm sorry that you're both having problems @Duninn and @exdvr. Have you chased this up with them @exdvr

• exdvr
    Read my response above dated 21/7.....still waiting.

At long last after exactly 6 months  my licence arrived in the post this morning.   I was beginning to despair but at least it's one other thing I don't have to worry about.
    Aren't our government agencies wonderful ??  

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Tori_Scope
    I'm glad it's arrived now @exdvr!

• MimiW
    MimiW Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I always have  problems renewing my license, currently  waiting, nearly 11 months. I also know my gp had supplied the information they required 7 months ago! Today's update is to redo the renewal application. Essentially, re write the form.... with the same information they already have!  ARGGGGHHHHHHH!!! 
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    outlaw666 said:
    Its very Simple, do not get your GP involved, your gp will only decide if you are fit to drive if you ask them. ...the dvla will only ask you if your disability affects your ability to drive (that's up to you to decide)  if your disability does not affect your ability to drive safely (up to you to decide) ...why bother telling your gp or the dvla ...just drive . 

Isn't it the intention for the future that all licence renewals after age 70 will have to be vetted and approved by your GP?
    Far too many drivers over 70 refuse to disclose anything relating to their health knowing that it would impede the issuing of a renewed licence. 
    I know of three over 70 drivers that adopt this attitude so as to avoid the licence being taken off them - all three are type 1 diabetics which is controlled via insulin injections.
    Another driver (aged 78) has been on and continues to take high doses of sertraline for his anxiety/depression as well as MS 12 hour release morphine tablets.

So  seeing the GP is the more sensible way to deal with a licence renewal - let them decide if you are fit to drive.

Brightness