Hi, I'm Jimmy123! Informed my PIP award was indefinite, but conflicting updates since? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Jimmy123! Informed my PIP award was indefinite, but conflicting updates since?

Jimmy123
Jimmy123 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone, I have a bit of a problem, I was awarded pip in 2017 so I was due a review this year but because of the pandemic it was extended until April 22. Now I received a letter dated 21st April 21saying that my pips award was to be changed to an open award with no end date but would be reviewed again in 2027 and I would receive the paperwork in a separate letter, I waited until the 19th of May and still hadn't received the letter so I rang the pip help line and spoke to them about not receiving the updated paperwork they said they would re issue a copy, so I waited for that to arrive. It did a week later but stated that I was going to have a review before April 22, I got back to the help line again and explained the situation about the new award and they had no knowledge of it they said there was a notice on the computer but no details of what the corospondense was about, I photocopyed the letter to them but still waiting for a response, has anyone else been in the same position and what was the outcome. Thanks for taking the time to read this it's a bit long winded but I would really appreciate some feedback from others,
                             Jimmy. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Personally I haven't heard of this before but diesnt mean others haven't 

Jyst seems strange they have given a new award without any new forms completed or assessment 

Only pip helpline can help maybe ask to speak to your case manager or request they calk you back
  • Jimmy123
    Hi janer1967 thanks for your reply, I don't know if it makes a difference but the reason they stated for the new award was because I was over the pension age and my current condition, I suffer from stage 3/4 copd and its something that isn't going to get any better it's more of a struggle every day, also I did speak to the case manager because the girl I spoke to originally could see I had been sent out a letter on the 21st of April but couldn't find what was written in the letter, so the case manager tried and had the same issue, she asked me to send the letter to the address on the letter which she confirmed was their dept which I did on the 26th of May I know it hasn't been long but the stress has been horrible after being told I don't have to go through the horrible process again for another 6 years and a few weeks later being told I would basically have to start all over again.
                 Jimmy. 
  • janer1967
    That makes sense now 
  • Jimmy123
    Sorry if my first post was confusing I was just trying to make it as brief as possible, hopefully someone will be able to respond I can't really see how they can do this surely if they issue an award they can't just say they have no information about it and go back to the original (extension) date. After all the letter has all my information dob, ni/number ect they can't say it does not exist. 
  • Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    Hello

The DWP reviewed my elder daughter's award again during 2020, her letter stated that she would have a longer award and there would be a "light touch" review in 2030. 

Is that what your letter says?
    I wonder if perhaps the exact wording "light touch review" is key here.. 

• Jimmy123
    Hi Luna51 thanks for your reply, the letter states we have changed how long your pip is awarded for. This means your pip award is now for an ongoing period and has no end date. We will review how much help you need 10 years after your last award we will write to you on or around May 2027, it also states we have changed how often we review claimants who have reached state pension age. No mention of light touch reviews. 
  • Luna51
    You are very welcome..

Reading the article below it certainly seems that if you've reached pension age, you should not be re-assesed for PIP.. 

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2019/may/light-touch-pip-reviews-be-rolled-out-disabled-people-pension-age

• janer1967
    Light touch reviews have been talked about but have not as yet been put into practice as far as other experts on here suggest 

But those over pension age can get longer awards if no change is expected in condition

As for your letters I agree it seems hard to believe they have no record 

Be interesting to see their response when they get your copy 

Keep us informed 
  • Jimmy123
    Thanks for the replysLuna51 andjaner1967, I had seen that article before Luna51 but didn't think it had been passed by government as yet but as soon as I have any further information I will post.

• Luna51
    It may be an oversight so try not to worry too much.

Hopefully you'll get some answers soon.

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jimmy123 and welcome to our online community.

I can understand your confusion in this situation and am sorry its causing you worry while you await another update.  Please let us know how you get on.

Just to let you know - I've tweaked the title of your thread so our other PIP savvy members may spot it and be able to offer more insight, plus I've moved it to the PIP, DLA and AA category.  Fingers crossed for confirmation of the indefinite award soon.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Hi @Jimmy123

A warm welcome.

I was awarded PIP for a 5 year period, in 2015.

I expected to get reviewed in mid 2020, by which time I would be in my late sixties.

The famous brown envelope dropped through door in late 2019. It announced that they had reviewed my file and had therefore awarded me PIP for the next 10 years ( higher rates for both components), by which time I will be 79 years young!

It seems as though anyone with Enhanced for both components over state pension age, is being reviewed like this.

I would speak to them, as this should be recorded on your file.

Hope this helps.
  • Jimmy123
    Hello atlas 47,thanks for your reply, the problem is that I have spoken with 3 different people who have been quite helpful but they have checked and cannot find any trace of the award, they have all said they can see where a letter was sent to me but they have no details of what the letter said and as far as they were concerned I am due to have a review early 2022. I have sent a copy of the letter to them on the 26th off last month so just waiting for a reply it's just so frustrating receiving a letter from them and now no one knows anything about it.              Jimmy. 
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Hi @Jimmy123

I think the issues, are there conspiracy problems or the DWP, doing what it does best - **** ups.

My letter awarding me the 10 year award, identifies a named person, who had undertaken this review. Check your award letter to see if the salution has a named person.

The DWP systems are not as robust as you think they might/should be.

Two quick examples, requests to PIP helpline.

Request 1.

Can you provide updated letter of PIP award date stamped 2020, two copies. This was to renew Rail Card and renewal of Blue Badge? 4 update letters arrive!

Request 2.

After an hour waiting for PIP helpline to be answered, can I report a change of address, as we are moving house tomorrow. No you can only tell once you have moved address.

A further hour long wait on PIP helpline, the following day, report new address.

Best wishes

• Jimmy123
    Thanks atlas 47,no name on the letter just office manager I'll just have to wait for the reply but they don't rush, we just get more parinoid and stressed the longer it takes. 
  • Jimmy123
    Well hello all, hope you are as well as you can be just like to update, I contacted the pip helpline today as it was over a month since I sent in the copy of my award update well as usual no-one knew anything about it so explained everything that happened and the advisor was very helpful and referred me to the case manager he in turn after hearing the details confirmed receipt of letter I sent he also said he would look into the matter and ring me back today. True to his word he rang at 5_15 this afternoon and informed me that it was sorted out and the new award was correct, so relieved at the moment just have to wait for postal confirmation and new award certificate, so I'd just like to say thanks for the reply and advice to my original post thank you all for being there
        Jimmy. 
  • janer1967
    That's great news glad it is sorted for you 

Thanks for the update 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Delighted to hear your update @Jimmy123 as I have been following this thread, Jimmy. Congratulations are in order. :)
  • Jimmy123
    Thanks janer1967 and chiarieds, was a great relief, I wasn't really given any reason for the confusion apart from once retirement age is reached the dwp has now revised the process for reviewing existing awards. Which is what my letter said but they had no idea why it wasn't recorded on their system.
          Jimmy. 
  • Luna51
    Great news @Jimmy123 really pleased to hear your award has been confirmed.
    The DWP certainly like to keep us waiting don't they.. ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.