How long can it take from start to finish to get a decision for Carer's Allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long can it take from start to finish to get a decision for Carer's Allowance?

tanya2595
tanya2595 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi so my partner put a claim in for carers allowance on the 26th may. Does anyone know how long it can take from start to finish to have a decision from them please? 

Also as we are on UC he’s going to put a claim in for the carers element does he just phone UC up to do that? 

Thank you 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    For UC he needs to report a change of circumstances in his UC journal to tell them he now cares for someone.

Note that the Carer’s Allowance will be deducted from UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • tanya2595
    He did that 1 week ago and had no reply. He’s going to phone them tomorrow instead. 

Yes I know it will be taken pound for pound but with the carers element added on (when it’s sorted) and my benefit cap now been removed it still puts us better off each month

thank you 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    You don’t actually have to claim Carer’s Allowance to get the carer element in UC but can be worth claiming for the Class 1 NI credits (only get Class 3 on UC). If your partner does any work he must bearin mind the earnings limit of £128/week for CA, there is no earnings limit for the carer element of UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • tanya2595
    My partner doesn’t work he cares for me 24/7 so we get joint UC and then I get PIP. 

Yeah the NI credits are better on CA but I thinking having that money weekly will help out even though it gets paid back pound for pound. 

My partner is going to ring UC tomorrow and talk to them about carers element as hasn’t heard back from journal. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Hope you found the info helpful 

It will take a while for uc to action the claim.  Yes you can call big I would give it a while longer for them to process the claim 
  • samik51
    samik51 Community member Posts: 58 Connected
    If your husband  is a carer  ? And you have  updated  your Uc journal  ? U automatically get  carers element  when you  tell them you are now caring  for  some one  I'm getting carers element  my child is on dla  I'm a ful time carer  and got told  I can not claim carers allowance  as I don't qualify  for both  it has  too be one or the  other  ain't sure  if  this information  is correct? I've put in a claim but not heard anything from ca  also if you  ringing  uc phone lines are really busy u need  to  give Uc workcoach a few days  too reply  they will  get back to you.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    samik51 said:
     I'm a ful time carer  and got told  I can not claim carers allowance  as I don't qualify  for both  it has  too be one or the  other  ain't sure  if  this information  is correct?
    This thread is 9 months old.
    What you've been told here is not correct. However, as you're claiming UC there's no financial gain to claiming Carers allowance at the same time because it's deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.