Covid vaccine and anti vaxxers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Covid vaccine and anti vaxxers

MobileGames
MobileGames Community member Posts: 123 Pioneering
Who's had their second vaccine? I had mine last Wednesday,June the 9th,the Pfizer one. Does anybody know how long it is until it starts to be effective please? My neighbour isn't having theirs. They said that they are healthy and that they haven't got anything. I wear a mask in the street and only bring it down when people aren't near me. If I see someone coming,or I'm going to be near someone,up it goes. I have vulnerable parents,one with Diabetes and the other has Cancer,stage 4 Melanoma. I don't open the door to anyone unless they are wearing a mask. One of my friends sometimes forgets theirs,so i wear one to open the door to them,then distance from them because they've been around someone who hasn't been vaccinated, All my friends bar one have had their second vaccine. If I'm around fully vaccinated people at a group I go to,or fully vaccinated friends,do I still need to wear my mask and distance? One of them at the group lives with someone who hasn't been vaccinated yet,so I'm not sure? Any advice please? 

Comments

• MobileGames
    Morning. How do you deal with people who try to push their opinions onto you when you're going about your business? I went to the outside Friday Market on the 4th of June so I wore a mask because of all the people there. The man at the watch stall,who I was going to get my watched fixed by,passed comments to me about wearing a mask. He said that I didn't have to wear one,that I can take it off. So I said that I have vulnerable people living with me and hadn't had my second vaccine yet. He then said that I was doing more harm than good. I told him to keep his opinions to himself. He then said that I was breathing in germs from my mask and affecting myself,him and everyone around him. So I asked him again to keep his opinions to himself. By this time I was seething inside. I then said that being as though you're being so rude that I'd take my business else where. He said "Fine." I started to walk away. He then said "I read it in a newspaper." So I said "Yeah, whatever." then carried on walking away. I felt so got at. Why pass comments? He's there to sell watches,not to harass people. I rang the council,didn't get much help,said they'd pass it on to the events organiser so I emailed the market manager the next day. By Tuesday the 8th I hadn't heard anything so I rang customer service. They said that Monday were busy with catching up so I saif to ignore the email and I asked them to put in an official complaint with the market manager about him. Nearly a week's gone by and i haven't heard anything. I needed to do this because I felt so upset,annoyed and disgusted by what the man said to me. I saw 6 others wearing masks there. I also went to another stall before that one and the man there never said anything to me. Why can't people keep their opinions to themselves? If I passed comments on people who didn't wear masks or anti vaxxers,I'd soon get lynched,so why do they think that they can be nasty to me for wearing one? Sorry,rant over. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @MobileGames

I've not had my first vaccine just yet, I have it tomorrow morning at my local GP surgery.How do you feel now you've had yours? I can't find any solid information on how long it takes the vaccine to be effective in the body, perhaps that's something you could ask your GP? 

Regarding face masks, you can find the official guidance on those here, but it's certainly advised that people wear them in public where possible.  Sadly though many people have stopped wearing them as restrictions have eased, or at least htat's the case in our part of the country. I'm sorry to read of your incident with the person at the market, that sounds awful.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Good morning, @MobileGames

I had my first jab on 21st January at my doctors. I am on the list of at-risk people, so had it early. In March after a routine blood test my doctor found out that my kidneys were failing. It was news to me and I felt OK. Still do. But it was as you can imagine unwelcome. He got me to hospital where I spent the next two weeks. Then I was told the drug they had put me on lowered my immune system and so I was put on the list along with the hospital staff to have my second jab on 12th march I am on a kind of Kemo and will be for several more months so I have to be careful because of the lowering of my immune system, from anything, not just Covid. It also stopped me from having my hip replacement operation. Hopefully now it will be at the end of this year. 
    I always wear a mask outside, in shops ECT. and go out around people only now and then. I was hoping things would be eased today. Because we are going on holiday early next month. I will stay careful, even though I have had both jabs for some time now.
    The government said the wait between jabs was around 12weeks. But that was so more people could get the first, before they started on the second. The hospital told me as did the people who gave me the first jab, that it took around 3weeks to take effect. They also said the second can be given after 3weeks. This also takes around 3weeks to take effect. So, I am now fully covered from Covid and have been since end of March.   
    What you are doing regarding masks is quite correct, it is what I do on advice from the hospital and you are protecting those you love. If everyone did the same and got the jabs as soon as possible we would be all OK.
    Just ignore those that try to push their opinion on you. You are entitled to your own. As they are. 
    I hope this helps.

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    edited June 2021
    [Removed on request of poster]

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    As far as i remember hearing on the tv that the vaccine takes around two to three weeks to be effective. Don’t hold me to that though please.?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    leeCal said:
    As far as i remember hearing on the tv that the vaccine takes around two to three weeks to be effective. Don’t hold me to that though please.?
    Yes that's what I was told. 

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I just wanted to ask if you wear a mask is it because you can still breath the corona virus in through the mask if you have been by someone who has corona virus ??

Also if that is the case how does wearing a face mask stop you passing it on if you wear a face mask?? If you can still get it by wearing a face mask??

I have been pondering this for days 
  • MobileGames
    @Ross_Scope. Thank you for your reply and the info. 
  • MobileGames
    @Dragonslayer. Thank you. It's just a pity that quite a few people don't seem to care. You're right,I am entitled to my opinion. Perhaps that man at the market is immature,ignorant, arrogant and self centred. I do what I need to do and won't be bullied about it. I'm not harming anyone,in fact I'm trying to do the opposite,so thank you. Sorry to hear that you are ill. Sending a virtual hug your way. 
  • MobileGames
    edited June 2021
    @lisathomas50. I wear a mask because I don't know who has it and I test myself twice a week due to having 3 vulnerable family members and 4 vulnerable friends. I walk straight past people in the street. I was around people at the market I was wearing a mask. That was nearly two weeks ago and I've had 4 negative tests since then. I don't go right next to people,but I was around people that were walking about and around people when I stopped to buy something from there before getting harassed by that stupid man,who I'd say I wasn't 2 meters from when asking him to fix my watch. If you're wearing a mask it helps by filtering out germs. I wear the disposable ones with the three folds on it. I sanitise my hands before putting it on and I wear it so that it's covering my nose,mouth and chin. I don't touch the outside of the mask,only the top if I need to pinch the nose clip a bit more to secure it more. I also tie loops in the straps because I have a smallish face and it helps it to fit better. When I get home i then remove it carefully by using the straps and dispose of it in the kitchen bin and then I wash my hands. I don't know if this answers your question. 
  • MobileGames
    This is my negative test,done earlier this morning. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    Senior management has just done a home test (negative)so she go and see her dying mum in hospital later today.
    We have both had both Oxford jabs, and whilst we wear mask where we have to, social distancing seems to have gone out the window.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Part of the problem here is that the fear of the masks or the vaccine creating consequences to those people, is at the same level of the fear of Covid itself causing consequences in the rest of us.

Both you and the market guy are entitled to your opinions on it.  The facts are still pretty sketchy, regardless of where you get them from, due to the short timescale the virus and the vaccine has been around so far.  But we should all be tolerant of opinions on both sides.

With the rise in the delta variant, the restrictions have now been lengthened by another month.  So the law is still that you should be wearing a mask inside shops etc.  Though outdoor places like markets don't require one.  It's also worth noting that neither the mask or the vaccine are 100% effective at stopping Covid.  It is only social distancing and good hygiene practices that can fully stop it.  
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @lisathomas50 My understanding is that face masks reduce the risk of transmission, as backed by this World Health Organisation (WHO) advisory which outlines how they should be used in compliment with other precautionary measures:
    Masks are a key measure to suppress transmission and save lives.

Masks should be used as part of a comprehensive ‘Do it all!’ approach including physical distancing, avoiding crowded, closed and close-contact settings, good ventilation, cleaning hands, covering sneezes and coughs, and more.

Depending on the type, masks can be used for either protection of healthy persons or to prevent onward transmission.
    @mobilegames Good news on the negative test result :)

@woodbine I'm sorry, this sounds like a really difficult time for you and senior management.  Sending you lots of virtual support. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness