MRI scan — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MRI scan

gaz1960
gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
Never had an MRI scan,got one coming up soon. 

Anyone who has had one,what was your experience like ? 

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I had one last year. It was a weird experience but the staff were great. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gaz1960

I've had a couple to look at my stomach and, like @MarkN88 , the medical team were really supportive throughout.  The thing I most remember is the banging noise of the magnets (!) but sometimes you're allowed to take music in to listen to while the scanning is underway.  My husband found his MRI that relaxing, he fell asleep!  Do you have any particular worries?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    I've had a few @gaz1960 you've just reminded me I need to get in touch for another 1.
    You'll be fine they don't take long and you have air at the head end so you don't feel clostrophobic
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    edited June 2021
    yeah I have had a few. Just try to lie still as there isn't a lot of room for movement. Sounds like a washing machine whirring in my opinion
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hav had loads of MRI scans and i'm not a fan doesn't help that i'm a big bloke, you can usually take a cd with you that they will play whilst doing the scan, i find that helps.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• gaz1960
    I'm guessing not much room to read a book then. Lol  :smiley: 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I've had one, & also found the staff very supportive. I didn't feel claustrophobic in the slightest, & the experience was fine except for the loudest clunking noises which seemed random, so I was just waiting for the next one all the time! :)
  • gaz1960
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I have had a few mri scans I have been in the tube ones they aren't pleasant and there is alot of noise 

I like the modern new ones better its like a big circular table you lye on like a tube that moves up and down you have to stay really still the circular mri scanner is open all the way round so it wasn't as bad as the old Type tube ones 

Are you haveing a hospital mri or a potable one 
  • gaz1960
    Haven't a clue which the Hospital uses. But having been to the xray department this morning, I'm guessing it will be a tube one! 
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    I've had that many MRI scans I think I own one. ? Full body, half body the works. Next one is head only. 
    The banging and clanging noise is the worst thing, but headphones and music are provided if you want them, or take your own along. Closing eyes help as well. I agree with @lisathomas50. The modern ones are the best.
  • innocent21
    innocent21 Posts: 35 Connected
    I had an MRI scan for a study where university students doing psychology and neuroscience wanted to investigate the relation between the psychosis spectrum and the autistic spectrum because recent science says that they're on opposite ends of the scale each with opposing traits.

It's not scary or uncomfortable, just that it makes a lot of noise so you'll be given earplugs to protect your ears, and maybe even headphones to listen to music because it takes 30 minutes. I got to listen to Capital Xtra and was given a button to press if I wanted to ask a question while it was happening for in case I wanted to stop it. They even gave me images of my brain.

They said to run an MRI scan once it costs £50,000.
  • HanzRolo
    HanzRolo Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
    I've had two MRI's on my lower back.  The first time was ok, though the music on the headphones didn't come on (that was pre-Covid).  I had no problems with it other than trying not to fall asleep  :D  The second one I was in agony afterwards from all the movement and then trying to keep still rather than anything to do with the machine itself.  I had to have help getting off of the scan bed as I couldn't get my legs to respond.  The staff were all great in helping me though to turn and get back on my feet and also to walk back to the changing area.  I took my own PJs along both times so I didn't feel uncomfortable in a hospital gown (but I guess that will depend what the hospitals are saying with bringing in your own stuff).  The worst bit about the second MRI was they put Queen on for me and I wasn't able to bop or sing along  :wink:
  • shazzawood
    shazzawood Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    I always find closing my eyes help and listen to music which they do provide.i don't mind them..just keep still.they even provided me with a foam block to support my lower back. 
  • gaz1960
    Met up with some of the guys from work,yesterday, talked about the MRI scan, the hospital has the old fashioned tube MRI. 
    That stupid ,hospital gown given! Omg! 
    Arms tied to side,headphones! Panic button! 
    Hhhmmmm,....sounds like fun! HanzRolo said:
    I've had two MRI's on my lower back.  The first time was ok, though the music on the headphones didn't come on (that was pre-Covid).  I had no problems with it other than trying not to fall asleep  :D  The second one I was in agony afterwards from all the movement and then trying to keep still rather than anything to do with the machine itself.  I had to have help getting off of the scan bed as I couldn't get my legs to respond.  The staff were all great in helping me though to turn and get back on my feet and also to walk back to the changing area.  I took my own PJs along both times so I didn't feel uncomfortable in a hospital gown (but I guess that will depend what the hospitals are saying with bringing in your own stuff).  The worst bit about the second MRI was they put Queen on for me and I wasn't able to bop or sing along  :wink:
    How can anybody stay still if Queen playing! Lol. ;) 
  • shazzawood
    shazzawood Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Love a bit of queen I do and I do agree you wouldn't be able to keep still ?
  • HanzRolo
    And it got to Innuendo and that's my FAVOURITE Queen song that you have to do dramatic moves to  :D That was definitely the toughest thing about my MRI :D 
  • gaz1960
    MRI scan results back,nothing i didnt actually know before! Only took 3 years to actually get an MRI scan! 
    Referrals on both scans!
    Just booked online! Hhhmmm...another 52 weeks! At two different hospitals for each problem! Only been waiting 3 years for the MRI scans! So,another year of twiddling thumbs! 

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @gaz1960 Eeesh that sounds frustrating, I'm sorry. How did you find the MRI scan itself?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • HanzRolo
    @gaz1960 it's so frustrating.  I found things were slow before Covid, now it's worse.  I'm NHS Scotland so I have a different experience slightly, but the waiting...  I've only seen my current physio in person once, that was just before everything locked down (though we were talking about Covid at the time).  I finally have another face to face in September so we can actually look to see what's going on.  GP is like Fort Knox, "I'm on strong meds with chronic pain and I haven't spoken to a GP for six months!!" was the only way to get through.  So I absolutely empathise and understand the frustrations.  Keep going!  I think the most frustrating thing for me is not the waiting, the GP passwords to get in is a pain, but the people moaning about lockdown infuriates me about putting their lives on hold.  I've been stuck wanting answers and struggling with pain for 2 1/2 years and it's still on going.  Find a hobby that keeps your mind off it to use your time waiting constructively.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant.  It was really just me wanting to show solidarity in knowing the frustrations of waiting for the next bit! 

Brightness