Astra Zeneca vaccine long term symptoms — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Astra Zeneca vaccine long term symptoms

Addie_S1
Addie_S1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Moderator note:
This post contains unverified claims regarding COVID-19 vaccines. Please refer to official government/NHS information on COVID-19 vaccines.

Hi,
I had the Astra Zeneca vaccine 10 days ago, I was hospitalised last weekend and had various tests that have come back normal. I still have a terrible headache, my body feels like lead and I have dizzy spells and I still feel very unwell. Has anyone else felt like this? I'm getting worried that I'm going to feel like this forever. Anyone else had the same experience?
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Hi @Addie_S1 :) Welcome to the community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you've been feeling unwell. Some people do unfortunately experience negative side effects after receiving one of the coronavirus vaccines, but these do usually subside after a while. 

The known possible side effects listed on the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine information leaflet are:
    Very Common (may affect more than 1 in 10 people)
    • tenderness, pain, warmth, itching or bruising where the injection is given
    • generally feeling unwell
    • feeling tired (fatigue)
    • chills or feeling feverish
    • headache
    • feeling sick (nausea)
    • joint pain or muscle ache
    Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
    • swelling, redness or a lump at the injection site
    • fever
    • being sick (vomiting) or diarrhoea
    • flu-like symptoms, such as high temperature, sore throat, runny nose, cough and chills
    Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
    • feeling dizzy
    • decreased appetite
    • abdominal pain
    • enlarged lymph nodes
    • excessive sweating, itchy skin or rash
    The leaflet also states that
    most side effects were mild to moderate in nature and resolved within a few days with some still present a week after vaccination.
    So, it could be that the symptoms you've been experiencing are due to the coronavirus vaccine. It could also be a coincidence, and you're unwell with another illness. Have you been keeping in touch with your doctor regarding your ongoing symptoms? What were you told when you were discharged from hospital?

Have you reported your symptoms through the Yellow Card reporting website

Additional note: it's important that you receive the coronavirus vaccine once you're eligible. If you have concerns about whether the coronavirus vaccine is safe for you to take, you should discuss this with your GP. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I really hate to say this but its like here we go again, someone has vaccine suffers what maybe side effects but could just be a coincidence and they suddenly find scope. Call me a cynic.

I hope this thread will come with the usual health warning? And that it won't put anybody off having either their first or second jab of either vaccine, as when all is said and done 127,000 have died from the virus in the uk and as far as i'm aware nobody has died from the vaccine.

@Addie_S1 welcome to scope I hope you soon feel better.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I think that only scope staff should answer when some one asks about the vacinaation 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Lisa, I think we are all entitled to contribute on any topic we wish to. However, I do agree that people can’t start making assumptions that their symptoms and the fact they are unwell is because of the vaccine. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    I understand where your comeing from @MarkN88 but it causes alot of arguments and upset  and you can't freely talk about  it  I don't dint think it should be aired on any forum  things like this should be left to professional people 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Interesting @lisathomas50 you think only admin should reply yet here you are you may not be giving advice about the topic but still having your input 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Hi everyone :)

If you have any input around moderation decisions, please feel free to email the team at community@scope.org.uk as to avoid threads being derailed from the OP's question.  

@Addie_S1 It's reassuring that your test results came back as normal and I hope @Tori_Scope 's advice helped.  The best person to speak to in this instance would be your GP to allay any underlying fears as we aren't medical professionals.  Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery.  

Just to add, I've added a disclaimer to your initial post as there's no evidence to suggest that you feeling unwell still is a direct consequence of receiving the vaccine.  Unfortunately, it could be a result of numerous factors and coincidental timing therefore it's best to highlight this for anyone reading who might otherwise be unnecessarily alarmed.  Thank you for understanding.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • DaddyBear
    DaddyBear Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    So sorry to know you had such a tough time after your Astra Zenica  vacination. Some people have had some side affects of various degrees. I am fully Vacinated with Astra Zenica. No issues so far. I will be honest, I have no idea why some have no side affects yet others like yourself have some serious side affects. I hope you will start to feel more yourself soon.
  • woodbine
    edited June 2021
    I have now had both shots of the oxford vax and nothing more than a dull upper arm for half a day, a bit like the flu jab, I also know at least 5 others who have now had both doses with nothing more than the dull arm I have had.
    But at the moment it's still a personal choice although there has been talk in govt this weekend about making it compulsary in the care sector, not sure how that would work, and today in Bradford they have started testing third doses to get an idea of how the booster jab might work later in the year.
    Like I said atm its personal choice but it still looks like the best and only way out of this pandemic.

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I have had both my jabs of the oxford vaccine and didn't get any symptoms but I know a couple of people who did have flu like symptoms after the oxford jab.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Mike my parents must be bad then I didn't have any vacinations when I was a baby or when I was older not even in school 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't remember having any vaccines  as a child, I know I had all the illnesses like measles etc,  only 1 I remember to was the TB one, I could be wrong but don't recall it. The corona vaccine is not given to children but adults who can make a personal choice. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    The choice was taken out of my hands by my drs and my consultant 

I will be totally honest if I had the choice I probably wouldn't of had it any way but that is my personal choice I wouldn't tell someone else not to have it but I would not try and talk someone else into haveing if I was asked I would have to tell that person I couldn't make that decision for them 
  • rungirlrun
    rungirlrun Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited June 2021
    HI Addie, I thought I would join this forum, as I have been searching the internet to see if anyone else is suffering from "possible" adverse effects from the vaccine. I am post-vaccine (jab one) 15 days now from the first AstroZenica and have finally made an appointment to see my doctor in two days. I think it is important to share our experiences, as we who have symptoms over weeks, can feel so alone, if not scared. My symptoms are excessive nauseous, not unlike my three pregnancies fifteen years ago now. I am super fit, with a resting pulse around 38-42; my blood pressure is low (105/64), temperature 36.5, and riding my road and mountain bike well (former international athlete) But, the nauseous has been highly unpleasant post-vaccine. Interestingly, my brother (lean, reasonably fit, super healthy) is still having unpleasant, but mild stomach cramps post 4 weeks.... wondering if it is a genetic reaction for us? My older sister in the UK was fine though... Anyway, I will share what my doctor finds in two days, so I can offer our learnings with all. Maybe some people have symptoms weeks and weeks later and it is perfectly normal??? It is not fun nonetheless, and it is good to have our voices heard too.  I feel so alone in this and feel like the "unfortunate/unlucky" one/ones. I hope it ends soon. 

P.S. The Australian government has now advised all people under 60 to have the Pfizer, not the Astra Zenica, which is a bummer, as I am in my mid 50's! We have such a low death rate and all over 75. So the risk of the AZ for us, unlike you, is greater for us than covid. 48 blood clots, 35 hospitalizations, 15 in ICU, and two died from blood clots recently sadly. Impressively, Zero covid hospitalizations over here in the last ten months; most States zero fatalities for nearly a year and a half (NSW with a population of 8.2 million has had 58 deaths in March 2020, mainly from a cruise ship of retirees and in nursing homes; nothing since. A highly impressive female premier in NSW.)
  • kelics
    kelics Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
    I was really unwell the morning after vaccine, but that went away by the end of the day
  • LesleyHolmes
    LesleyHolmes Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited August 2021

Moderator note:

This post contains unverified claims regarding COVID-19 vaccines. Please refer to official government/NHS information on COVID-19 vaccines.

I am not anti vaccine in general. These are my experiences and facts.

I had my flue jab and pneumonia jab around Christmas/January. I had my second dose of Atra covid jab in May this year. 

I have a number of conditions and was pressured by family and the GP into having the covid jab.

The flu jab and pneumonia jab always make me feel poorly and out of sorts. This lasts a couple of weeks at most.
    The covid jab had left me exhausted, fluey, joint pain and muscle pain to the point that I am bed bound. I am so light sensitive I sit in a dark room with polaroid glasses on whilst I use the laptop and have a virtually permanent head ache. I now have 'brain freeze' pain in my jaw, roof of my mouth and head on and off every day. I have zero appetite. I am on my second dose of antibiotics and steroids for abscesses and chest infections which I usually fight off with antibiotics at the most. I already had ectopic heart beats (machine from cardio at hospital to measure these) which have grown worse since the jabs. I cant lift or take any weight with my left arm (jab arm) and rotation is so painful it makes me cry.

GP says side effects of the jab are short term and are usually limited to localised soreness which goes in a few days. The benefits outweigh the risks blardy blar blar here have antibiotics, steroids, a different heart med, asthma med, pain killer, migraine pill, stomach pill etc etc.

What I have found is that my inflammation markers have gone through the roof. All pre-existing conditions are worse.  I hope things get better because this is a living death which has caused a massive impact on both myself and my family.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Why are certain countries not letting people go there if they have had the Astrazenica  vacination ???
  • woodbine
    Probably because many countries inc EU ones have a low vaccination rate still ?

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
      It was the Indian Astrazenica Covishield vaccination  that wasn't being allowed in some EU countries

Brightness