Cast adrift — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cast adrift

Supernanma
Supernanma Community member Posts: 42 Connected
Hi, I have had a really tough three months. I have found that I have been cast adrift. I needed someone on my side and contracted Pathfinder, thinking they were looking after me. I was shocked to hear that I was no longer under the safety net. I know that the Mental health teams are stretched to their limits, but nobody?  I thought I was dying. My heart pounding, anxiety through the roof. Why doesn't anyone tell you they are ditching you? I had no idea. 11 years and cast adrift. That's not right. Has anyone else found this happening to them? I feel so alone. What does everyone do in this situation?  I am scared. 

Comments

• Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Hi @Supernanma did they not offer an explanation as to why or how you have been cut off without telling you? :disappointed: I have had similar things happen to me in the past but I always found out reasons for example I'd moved a few times to escape violence and they hadn't been told my new details etc and had tried to contact me a few times and hadn't been able to? Then another time I found out my case had been closed because I was also involved with different services in my local area and I wasn't allowed to have both at the same time? Oh and one time it had been because I had missed a couple of appointments due to being very unwell mentally and I stopped engaging so again my case was closed? So there is normally some explanation even if it isn't always helpful as I don't believe people that can't engage for whatever reason (especially if in a very negative situation) should be just cut off from further help because at times those that are extremely unwell aren't able to reach out themselves and ask for help because their brain!/mind isn't reacting like the average persons would? And they aren't able to behave rationally? But I also see they can't just keep cases open forever if no contact happens! It's so difficult! I have had a bad situation here I was referred to the local crisis team by my gp about 2 months ago because I had relapsed into self harming again and was extremely unwell and very depressed? Anyway I got a call one day when I was in hospital waiting room and the lady wanted to speak to me about my mental health issues and asked if that was OK and I explained I was not alone and people around me so wasn't able to discuss those issues then? Please can they call me back any other day? She said she would try and ended the call? I then got a letter another week later saying they have been trying to contact me repeatedly and as they hadn't been able to get hold of me I had a week to call them or they will presume I no longer need help! They had literally tried one time to call me no missed phone calls no other letters etc? So I called them and was told nobody was available they will call me back? Another week passed and I received the same letter again basically threatening to close my case if I didn't try to contact them! Again I tried twice more and ended up having to leave a voice message asking them to please contact me ASAP as I am in a terrible place and I'm scared? That was 5 weeks ago?? I will try calling them again tomorrow but its just not a very good way to treat people who are already mentally unwell sometimes I am not able to keep chasing them? And I hate the fact they keep kind of blackmailing me to call them when they haven't done anything at all to help me in 2 months? So my point is mental health teams in my experience are not very helpful all the time so I understand how you feel abandoned etc! I hope if you ask them they can help you further! Or at least point you in the direction of somewhere that can! This site has been very helpful in that respect too so I'm sure they will contact you to offer help/advice! Just please know that you are not alone and these things happen all the time but can be sorted out so you won't stay unsupported! ????? Take care hun xx
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    If you have a crisis team telephone number you could always give them a ring and talk it over with them. Alternatively have a chat with your GP about things as they stand.
    i hope this helps as you shouldn’t be suffering alone.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Emilyb81
    I haven't heard of pathfinder @Supernanma well not to do with mental health but probably as we live in different areas? If it is local mental health team then as @leeCal said they do normally have a crisis line you can call and maybe get rereferred back into services? And my GP was actually really helpful to talk to and referred me straight away to mental health services here so defo worth talking to gp if possible? However that doesn't mean you need to struggle through by yourself hun! There is support out there just sometimes we have to really hunt for it? Like I said earlier the people on this site have been so helpful offering support too so I'm sure before long you will have shed loads of options ??? and sorry I was a bit negative on my other post I need to figure out how to turn my negative thinking off and shut my hole sometimes! Take care and stay safe peeps! :smile:
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Supernanma :) I'm sorry that you feel as though you were cast adrift by Pathfinders, and that your anxiety has been really bad recently.

Is this the Pathfinder service you were referring to? Who pointed you towards their services? 

I'd definitely second the advice to speak to your GP as soon as you can, as they can help you to access other vital services. Is that something you feel able to do? 

If you ever need someone to talk to more urgently, you can always ring Samaritans on 116 123. You don't have to be suicidal to get in touch with them, as they're a listening service. They might be able to help you work through your thoughts when it's all feeling a bit overwhelming.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm sorry that you had that experience @Emilyb81- it sounds really frustrating! I hope that you're able to get through to them today. Please do keep us updated, and go back to see your GP if you're struggling to access the help you need. 

• Emilyb81
    Are you OK @Supernanma? Hope so ??
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    It does annoy me that the media is full of how much mental health is increasing and the importance of getting help 

When in reality that help isn't available 

My one experience for myself was when I reached out to my gp surgery they said to call crisis team which I did they took 48 hours to call back and when I said I wasn't suicidal as I had my son to consider they told me to look at the Internet for help 

My gp to this day has never even followed up how things turned out 

Good job a had a good friend who got me through 
  • Emilyb81
    It is scary @janer1967 because when someone is in crisis they should not be left for ages I understand they are very busy and overworked etc but people that are in a very bad/dark place need the support straight away :disappointed:
    Glad you had friends to help you through! Xx
  • Emilyb81
    Thanks @Tori_Scope I'm about to call now! It's taken me an hour to get myself in the right head space but I'm there I think lol il let u know what happens.... ???
  • Tori_Scope
    How did it go @Emilyb81

Brightness