Quick PIP Decision- has anyone had theirs within a week? Can they tell you over the phone? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Quick PIP Decision- has anyone had theirs within a week? Can they tell you over the phone?

kellert27
kellert27 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I’m a new claimant of PIP, for severe depression & anxiety, I first applied on 10th March, I had my phone call assessment on the 7th June, and had a text they received my assessment on the 10th June, called on the 21st June, and was told they made a decision on the 17th, so within a week a decision was made. He said he couldn’t tell me over the phone because of security reasons/the law, but said I should be receiving a letter soon. 

I’m worried as I’ve never heard many pleasant stories about people hearing back early?has anyone else had a decision made in such a short time? 

Also I’m now worried as other people have been told on the phone their decisions which usually are that they have been awarded PIP.

I’m also worried because I’ve heard many stories that they don’t take mental health seriously.  

Comments

• daisy1838
    daisy1838 Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    Hey. I’m new here too. You sound so stressed. Please know people care and want to help and listen!

I’m sure everything’s going to work out perfectly for you but there’s some absolute amazing knowable people on here to help too. 

Hope you’re ok 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

The time to make a decision doesnt mean anything 

It can be quick because the dm doesn't have a huge backlog

Also could be easy to decide from your evidence 

Lots of peopie get pip for mental health that's why it is covered in the descriptors 

J6st try and hold on till you get your letter 

Please keep us updated 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    We have seen some really quick decisions and some applications taking forever over the last year, if a decision has been made and an award given sometimes the money will be in the bank ahead of the letter.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• kellert27
    I just received the letter scoring 0 points, plenty of lies, she failed to mention how I can’t attend university, do my university work or go out in general due to my anxiety. She said I could definitely do  everything with no  aids  which is crazy to me as I am unable to take my medication and even don’t take it unless prompted. Also she said I’m not on any medication for my anxiety but that’s the only medication I am on. A whole bunch of lies and I’m disgusted to say the least. The level of discrimination is crazy because I didn’t “sound” depressed and “laughed” on occasion. I’m emotionless which is why I sound “ok”. Ontop of that she failed to mention that I haven’t been able to go to the dentist for my tooth due to anxiety, so where can I go places unaided? 

Never been so disgusted in my entire life. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Hi @kellert27 I'm sorry to hear the initial decision didn't go your way. I completely empathise with how disheartening it is  :(

It sounds like there were many inaccuracies in the report and if you can identify which points you believe should have been awarded - see this Citizen's Advice PIP table of activities, descriptors and points - then you could ask for the decision to be looked at again via a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR).  While remembering, you need to score 8+ points to be awarded either component's standard rate and 12+ points for the enhanced.

I'm not dismissing the anger you're feeling however it's best to channel your energy into evidencing which points you should have been awarded and why, rather than criticising the decision made.  A good way of evidencing how your impairments impact your ability to carry out the PIP activities, is by providing 2-3 detailed examples of the last time you attempted them - including who was there, where you were, what happened and what the consequences were.  This will give the decision maker more insight that was perhaps missing from your original evidence.  

How do you feel about doing a MR?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • kellert27
    Hi, I’ve already called up and told them to go ahead with MR, just have to send a form with additional evidence, I’m currently writing up everything, thank u for the advice will be sure to include this in the letter. 

It’s just  a lot on my plate right now and this is just adding to it but there’s nothing I can do other than to fight my case! 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @kellert27

Welcome to the community. 

It certainly is a lot to have on your plate, but always remember that you have the full support of us in the online community and you're always welcome here for a chat. I wish you the very best with the MR, make sure you keep us updated.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,634 Disability Gamechanger
    @kellert27. Sorry to hear what’s happened but want to wish you luck with your MR.

When I had to do an MR my daughter that helps me daily with lots off practical help wrote a letter stating what kind off help she gives me. Also how she sees how my life is affected with my illness.

My doctor also gave me a copy off some off my hospital records, she also put a short note and I feel it really helped.

Take care I hope you get your decision changed.
  • kellert27
    Hi, thank you guys so much! I’m getting my cousin (who’s usually with me and runs my errands for me) and my mother to write statements on how they help me and how my condition affects me. 
    Hopefully this time it’s a different outcome! 
    Anyone got any success stories for MR with depression & anxiety?
  • Ross_Alumni
    kellert27 said:

Anyone got any success stories for MR with depression & anxiety?

I'm sure many of our members do have those stories indeed, and you might also wish to browse our benefits categories to see examples of some of them.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Sammiecat75
    Sammiecat75 Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    Hi all who do u call for the report..as dwp have mines
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Hi all who do u call for the report..as dwp have mines
    You need to call DWP. 
  • Sammiecat75
    Nitemare trying to gt through 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    It's often best to call first thing as soon as they open @Sammiecat75. It can unfortunately take a while to get through 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Sammiecat75
    I have tried first thing..then it goes through number goes dead.
    Its a nitemare this is causing me more stress and bad anxiety.now..i have been on this forum now for a while everyone has some bad experiences.and some good i have been waiitng since jan.how can they keep you.waiting like this its bad enough people really struggling just now i am one of them it takes me all.my time to even speak to.people and by phoning them.its worse i cant cope.anymore with this.

• Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 542 Pioneering
    @Sammiecat75, I was lucky yesterday, as rang at 9 AM and got through straightaway. I wanted to know if they’d received MR which I sent two weeks ago, they hadn’t. I was told there’s a hold up with the post. 
    It’s incredibly hard, but stay strong. You’ve come this far.
  • Sammiecat75
    Well update all.i managed to get through to dwp and spoke to a lovely irish girl cloe ny claim is with the decison makers i should hear back before the 5th july but she is going to.email them to move it on quicker for me and ahe is personaly going to call me back with the decison . My assesment was on the 17th june she said its moving quickly.
    So heres hoping i even get good news the stress is far too much for me now x
  • Ross_Alumni
    Thanks for the update @Sammiecat75

Fingers crossed for good news. Do you have coping techniques for times like these to help manage your stress?

• Sammiecat75
    My daughter tries to calm me down and takes control of things ..shes been fantastic for me she keeps me going x
  • Ross_Alumni
    She sounds brilliant @Sammiecat75, you must be very proud of her.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.