Dad’s State Pension age reached and Joint ESA with mum stopped. - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dad’s State Pension age reached and Joint ESA with mum stopped.

Options
2»

Comments

• oldestdaughter
    oldestdaughter Community member Posts: 27 Listener
    Options
    Okay, then they’ll both just apply. I did a benefit calculator as well so they could get an idea of what they’d receive. It showed the DLA, SP, Council Tax Support and ESA (the last from UC). I presume the calculation is for both of them and the amount seems realistic. 

It doesn’t show Housing Benefit but I presume that’s included in the UC. Is HB joint but written under one person? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    The help with rent is part of UC (the housing element). UC is calculated on joint circumstances and paid to one of them. If mum finds the conditions too onerous they can always cancel the claim. If they get an understanding work coach and she fully explains what she has to do by caring she may get a fairly light commitment pending a decision on thePIP claim (although unfortunately those are taking many months at the moment).

Please take time to understand the PIP assessment process and be very thorough when helping him complete the health questionnaire.

When claiming UC he will need a Fit Note from GP confirming he is too unwell to work (ignoring the fact that he is no longer working age).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • oldestdaughter
    oldestdaughter Community member Posts: 27 Listener
    Options
    Thanks. I’ve been helping them fill out the UC claim and they don’t ask much in the way of disability, except for the fit note. I’m requesting one from the doctor. He hasn’t worked since he first fell ill in 2006. Should the fit note start from then? And what’s the end date required? Is it possible to be indefinite?

The UC application also doesn’t ask for much information regarding the other adults in the house or what benefits he already receives?When is this information required?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    GP will not give you an indefinite Fit Note. Start date can be anything appropriate but wants to be not later than the start of the UC claim. Try and get at east three months on Fit Note, if GP will give a longer one so much the better.

The UC application does ask about other adults in the house.

When dad claims he reports mum is there and will be given a linking code. Mum then claims and uses the linking code to join her claim to his.

On his claim if there are adult children in the house he will need to record these.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.