I claim ESA (WRA) and have been told to claim PIP too. Could be ESA be reconsidered if I failed PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I claim ESA (WRA) and have been told to claim PIP too. Could be ESA be reconsidered if I failed PIP?

Options
TracyPike
TracyPike Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello, i currently claim ESA (WRA group) i had to go to court to in 2018 and was told no reassessment for at least 24 months.  Since then my health has gone down hill, i have depression (also been told i could have BPD, cervical spine degeneration, pain syndrome, weakness on right hand side to mention a few.  I have been told that i can and should be claiming for PIP.  I've been told that yes i can claim PIP and ESA together but have now been told that if i were to fail PIP at the initial application (which apparently always happens) then my ESA would be reconsidered as well and probably stopped, even though they are different places.  I believe i should be in the ESA support group now as well but i honestly am too worried to do the application in case my benefit gets stopped!  Please could someone clarify what is right and what i am actually allowed to do as i am confused.
Many thanks
Tracy

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there and welcome 

Many people get pip first time myself included you just don't see success stories 

Your esa will not be affected if you don't get pip this happens if you get sdp and then lose pip as to get sdp you must get pip 

You have nothing to lose applying for pip and if you do get it you could also be eligible for other benefits too depending on your circumstances 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can also report a change of circumstances to ESA too which will prompt a reassessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope that the above replies have put you at ease a little @TracyPike :) Many people get confused about it, so don't worry.

Have you been getting any support for your physical and mental health conditions? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.