Loss of benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Loss of benefits

Options
Paulandrew72
Paulandrew72 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello, I'm struggling to find the best answer, I took money from my personal injury trust and put some in my bank to do my back garden, now I've been told council wont pay my rent or council tax, I was seriously injured and lost my job, I'm petrified I'm going to lose everything, please can someone advise me 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Di ýou claim any income tested benefits these could be affected if you have savings not sure your trust would be classed as savings I'm no expert with this 

Other members will be able to advise 

You could contact welfare rights who could help 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Evening, how much £ was involved?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Paulandrew72
    Paulandrew72 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I've put 8,000 in my bank, 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I've put 8,000 in my bank, 
    Did it take your total money in bank/savings over £16,000? If it did you lose entitlement to means tested benefits. If it was below £16,000 you remain eligible but there will be a deduction for money  over £6,000.

For Council Tax Reduction the rules may be different because each local authority can vary the rules, some local authorities will not provide any support if savings are over £6,000. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.