AWARDED SDP BUT NEED ADVICE PLEASE — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

AWARDED SDP BUT NEED ADVICE PLEASE

Cassandra1990
Cassandra1990 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi iam Cassandra just joined and iam so confused and need some advice please, so iam on ESA and the support group and also PIP for my mental health , couple of weeks ago I phoned ESA as iam moving home and I was giving my new details when the woman at DWP said do you know you can claim severe disability premium because you have been on pip since 2017 and ESA income related with support group also and I said no I didn't! So she said I'll fill the 5 minute form on the phone with you so I did and two days after I was meant to recieve a call but I didn't so I phoned them to ask what was going on, and the guy at DWP said I had been awarded it the claim was done on the 8th of this month June 2021 but he couldn't see any more info on the computer,, the previous woman I spoke with said they were looking to go back from 2017 the start of my pip so I said okay and they said leave it with us and you will hear back within 3 days, this was 2 days ago, so I go to check my bank and there is £134 pounds in which iam guessing is the SDP money from the claim that was made on the 8th of June 2021 worth , but two women who I spoke with told me they were looking to go back from 2017 with the new claim for SDP so has anyone else gone through this and recieved a small amount first and then the proper backdated money at a later date? I've also recieved no letter from the DWP to state they have put this £134 in my bank as of yet but I know letters can be recieved after payments have been made, iam just worried iam not going to get it backdated to 2017 now which is what they said they were looking to do, hope this makes sense as iam on alot of medication and sometimes I don't make sense lol hope I can get some advice tho thanku in advance 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    It will take a while for them to calculate what you are owed. Give it a couple of weeks and if nothing has happened during that time you can chase it then. In the meantime try not to worry about it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cassandra1990
    Okay I will do as I've never gone through this before thankyou for your comment  :) hopefully the £134 is just part of the new claim and the backdated if they will backdate it will come later as they havnt really explained much and iam not good at stuff like this lol, now I know I am entitled to have it back from 2017 I hope they go through with it as surely its something I should have been told when I first got awarded my pip anyways thanku 
  • calcotti
    £134.60 would be a payment of SDP for two weeks. You should see this extra amount in each of your fortnightly future ESA payments. The arrears will come separately.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cassandra1990
    Ahh okay thankyou very much :) 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Thats of course assuming that you qualified for SDP since 2017, did you live alone since then? was anyone during that period claiming carers allowance for you? If you lived with someone were they getting PIP ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cassandra1990
    Hi yes they have said I qualified for it from 2017  thats all they've really said , I've always lived on my own and no one has claimed carers, it's just me on ESA support group and PIP :) 
  • charlotte84
    charlotte84 Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Hi @Cassandra1990 I hope you don’t mind me asking but you said you get pip for mental health do you get the enhanced rate. xx
  • Cassandra1990
    Hi iam not sure my mental health CPN mainly did it for me I've got the papers somewhere but I'am in the middle of moving so not sure 
  • Cassandra1990
    So an update I've just spoke to DWP explained my situation that I ve just been awarded SDP but they also stated that they were looking to backdate me from when my first pip claim started in 2017..he said he can see on the system that I've been awarded it from the 8th of this month and that's what the £134 pound was and he can see that two people mentioned that they were going to look into backdating it but at the moment they are looking into my previous address and my last psychiatric hospital visit, I said okay well I've lived in the same address since 2015, got my pip awarded in 2017 at the same address I told him. And my last hospital stay was 4 years + ago havnt had to go back in psychiatric hospital since then as iam now on medication to help stabilise me, so I requested a call back which he's put through and he said I've just got to wait now to see what the outcome will be.. Surely iam entitled to the back pay after two separate people stated that also and said I should have been getting SDP from 2017..anyways guess its just a waiting game now see what they say when they next contact me :) iam not good on the phone at explaining things and what to say to them so iam very anxious at why they are looking into things when it's them that offered me this extra benifit.. My hospital stay was for just over a week and didn't tell benifits as I wasn't on pip then I got awarded it not long after my hospital stay and esa support group was awarded around that time to me also 
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    .. Surely iam entitled to the back pay after two separate people stated that also and said I should have been getting SDP from 2017..
    The people you speak to on the phone are not Decision Makers. The decision will be made by a DM after reviewing your file. They may contact you if they need any more information. You will just have to wait.
  • Cassandra1990
    Yea I got told that on the phone that I will just have to wait so that's what iam going to do now 
  • Cassandra1990
    Hi all, thankyou very much for your advice. Esa phoned me Yesterday and a lovely woman said she was going to take over instead of letting the d. Maker deal with it as it could take several weeks otherwise so she went away to calculate my back pay and she phoned me today to say the money will be in the bank next week  iam. So happy she said it's alot and it won't ever be classed as savings but I'am going to get a letter from dwp stating that they've said this just in case down the line they do ask
    So it's all sorted now thankyou :) 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.