Hi, my name is natz2009! If my PIP claim is successful, can I claim SDP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is natz2009! If my PIP claim is successful, can I claim SDP?

natz2009
natz2009 Community member Posts: 76 Connected
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone im new here and ive just done all my pip claim just waiting on my decision and im jist woundering if i am successful can i get sdp but i am also my father's carer (seprate address )  any help would be appriceated i have 5 children but no other adults in my house hold thanks again x

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @natz2009 - & welcome to the community.. Have you had an assessment yet for PIP? There's some info about SDP here: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Severe-Disability-Premium/Can-I-get-a-Severe-Disability-Premium
    As you will see, as far as PIP goes, you need an award of the daily living component, but you need to be additionally claiming an income related benefit in order to qualify for SDP.
  • natz2009
    edited July 2021
    Hi @chiarieds i have read all the gov websites and it says aslong as no one gets carers for me i am entitled witch no one dose i am on legacy benefits i think there called now ?? Not sure lol so i recive income support no u/c if this helps i had my telephone assesment last tuesday i am awaiting my assesment report it got sent out today as i called and requested it x
  • natz2009
    Donno if its legacey benefits but still on the old system not universal credits thanks x
  • natz2009
    Oh and anyone thats been waiting on there pip assesment report how long did u wait after requesting it thanks x
  • chiarieds
    edited July 2021
    Hi @natz2009 - yes, if you're on Income Support (one of the legacy benefits), & get awarded either rate of the daily living component for PIP, then from the circumstances you mention, you would qualify. Kindly let us know how you get on when you receive the assessor's report. As you likely know, the decision maker usually (but not always) goes along with the assessor's recommendation. Good luck. :)
    Just to add, the average wait the DWP says it takes to get a decision is 8 weeks; some will therefore get this earlier, & some later. Getting the assessor's report might take a little time due to some postal delays, but should be within a week, tho we've had a few members wait longer.
  • natz2009
    Thank you @chiarieds i will i have been reading all the discussions for weeks i was overly worried with the assesment but the lady i got (from capita) was absalutly lovly and advising me off the record about a few issues i am going through i know this dosent always mean a gd report but i feel it went well but still doubtfull also if i could ask anyone about the how far can u walk question as after all the other questions she asked me can i walk 3to5 meters no othere meters where asked as i said on my bad days i cant even get up my stairs just wounderd is this a standard question thanks xx
  • natz2009
    edited July 2021
    Forgot to say this is my first time doing the hole pip thing applied feb 18th 2021 assesment 22nd june x
  • chiarieds
    Whilst the criteria are can you walk more than 1 metre, but no more than than 20 metres (then more than 20 metres but no more than 50; more than 50 metres but no more than 200, or more than 200)? they can ask any questions they wish to get a picture of your mobility issues. Whilst many have bad days, it's how you are on the majority of days, & using stairs in your home isn't considered, it's how you are moving around outdoors.
    As with all the activities/descriptors the concept of 'reliability' is very important; so for this, could you do it safely, repeat it as often as it would be expected a person would reasonably hope to do, or did walking a certain distance take you more than twice as long as someone without your disability? This should all be taken into account if you've detailed this with your PIP claim, or, if not, during your assessment. So pain, breathlessness, fatigue, for example should be taken into account if mentioned.
  • natz2009
    Thank you very much for that reply @chiarieds i will update more when i get my report crossing my fingers as i was erratic in the call xx
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @natz2009, I hope your claim is successful and fingers crossed the replies you have received so far have been helpful :) 

I hope you enjoy being a part of the community.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • natz2009
  • natz2009
    So got my report back today 9 for daily living and 12 for mobility but she has contradicted herself in 3 questions witch i would assume i would have scored 3 more point should i do a mr or be happy with what i have ? :s x
  • chiarieds
    Hi @natz2009 - good to read you have got your assessment report. You will of course have to wait for your decision letter to see if they go along with the assessor's report before deciding whether to do an MR or not. Is this 3 more points for the daily living component that you feel you should have got? Most MRs stay the same & the success rate of any increase in an award is unfortunately low. However, it's rare for an award to decrease, so the option is there for you to try if you wish. :)
  • natz2009
    Thank you and yes 3 more for daily living im unsure at this time i am really happy with the assesment and the asessor but has said in one hand i cant do ect ect but then in the second hand said i can also says i have no mental health issues but im refferd to phycoligy and on mirtazipine for severe depression that stems back to 2006 evident in my medical records to so just a bit confus3d lol and only an 18month award ? Can this be right sorry just a bit baffled xx
  • chiarieds
    If there are errors that you can prove, then yes, unless the decision maker picks up on them, these would be worth mentioning if you went for an MR. You could also challenge the length of the award alone, or with the other points you've made. Waiting time now for that decision letter. :)
  • natz2009
    Ty @chiarieds yes ill have time to think on what i would like to do baffels me as when i was on the phone she was the one who suggested i need phychiatry not phycoligy but said i have no mental health issues lol yes waiting waiting dwp love the waiting game lol im going to try and stay up beat i gotten really down with all the form filling and the anxiety waiting on the assesment so gonna try and stay upbeat and see what the dm decide :) i will keep u all up to date xx and thank you for all ur comments and advice xx
  • chiarieds
    You're very welcome @natz2009 - & good for you determined to stay upbeat. :) Try & forget about it all until you get you decision letter. Do keep in touch, & thank you, an update when you've heard back will be great.
  • natz2009
    Yes deffinetly will keep u all up to date on question 2 the assesor has put 2d was consider but then scored me 0 that would have gave me the 4 point for enhanced but we shall see what the dm has to say :) will update as soin as i get my letter xx
  • natz2009
    Also can i ask @chiarieds dose anyone know if they do with the assesor standard daily living enhanced mobility what dose this mean for the sdp ? X thanks x
  • natz2009
    Sorry and also has anyone had there award period extended through mr ? X

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.