My Mum has a telephone appointment on Tuesday (new claim.) She feels she is unable to speak. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My Mum has a telephone appointment on Tuesday (new claim.) She feels she is unable to speak.

Options
CatsMeow
CatsMeow Community member Posts: 17 Connected
She has trauma related to the healthcare professional. She cannot deal with the assessments like this and is housebound.

I wrote the 'How the disability affects you' booklet for her, and being honest, if she does the assessment she'll downplay herself. 

She wants me to answer and take the appointment for her. Whilst i know I can be on the phone, it states that I cannot answer questions for her. What are my options here?

I know if I was the appointee I could take it, but I'm not - and this is probably too close to set up now. My fear about not doing the appointment is it takes months to get another date.

Any advice on where I stand or what I should?

Comments

• CatsMeow
    Options
    (I take all phone calls on her behalf with her GP and have been doing so regularly since Feb, so she really cannot do this.)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    All I can suggest at this stage is to speak to which ever company is doing the assessment on Monday and see what they say, at this stage all other options would seem to be off the table.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Beesmummy798
    Beesmummy798 Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Hi there, I had my tele assessment on Monday and my sister assisted me. She is one of my main carers but not my appointee. At the start of the call my sister started talking and the assessor said she needed to speak to me. I don't communicate over the phone or face to face so I got really distressed and anxious and broke down. I did have to answer some questions but my sister was able to prompt me to answer, add to things I had left out, speak at length at times. Hope this helps. If your mum finds it too distressing tell them during the call. I had phone on loudspeaker x
  • CatsMeow
    Options
    @woodbine

You wouldn't happen to know how long it takes to become someone's appointee, that isn't something I could sort out on Monday?

@Beesmummy798 - Unfortunately I really do not think my mum is capable of answering the questions at all. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @CatsMeow longer than you have i'm afraid as it inc. interviews of both parties.
    sorry
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.