John Lewis Houses — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

John Lewis Houses

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
edited July 2021 in Coffee lounge
Interesting news being reported by the BBC, John Lewis are to enter the property market by building 10,000 homes for rental, either unfurnished or fully furnished (with JL goods).
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    I read that article too

It said they come with a concierge service and they are all near a Waitrose store for convenience

I'm guessing aimed at middle classes rather than providing affordable housing?

That said I wouldn't mind that lifestyle if I had the money :D 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Personally I believe that any new entrant into the social housing sector is to be welcomed, but we will have to see what they intend to deliver.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think any home is affordable  if it was most of us would own our own houses at least one thing with renting you can just find some where else to live 
  • Lisatho11987777
    I have done well out of renting I have moved 12 times in the last ten years I am private rent though  I have been in the house I am in for three years and I will probably stay here unless my finances improve then I will move again to Swansea  marina sea front 

My rent is 550 here  if I was council  I eouldnt be paying so much private rent is to high 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I have done well out of renting I have moved 12 times in the last ten years 
    Blimey I could not handle that, that’s a lot of moving. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @MarkN88 since the age of 18 I have moved 32 times I have moved for work  moved when I got divorced but mainly for work and needing bigger house when I had my children  
  • Bob_
    Bob_ Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    edited July 2021
    Yes, I read the story in the Guardian.  There was no mention of affordable housing, or a sense of wider social, or environmental responsibility, accessibility, etc in John Lewis's plans.  Hmmmm.  Appreciate they're in a financial fix, but not sure about this potential solution.

Brightness