Overpayment, sanctions and stress — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Overpayment, sanctions and stress

Options
huney
huney Community member Posts: 20 Listener
So I submitted a appeal against my overpayment of uc that was caused by dwp (they wrongly applied carer element when I didn’t ask for it)

Since then it’s like they have it out for me. I’ve been sanctioned and they keep moving the appointment and adding more sanctions and now they’re saying I have another huge overpayment where they say should have been benefit capped when I know I shouldn’t but can’t prove it as my statements aren’t online any more and the few that are have all been changed and some date back to when it was a telephone only claim. And another because apparently I was getting wrong LHA and that I was getting the wrong disabled child element which isn’t true. Now a letter for a tax credit debt I apparently owe from 2010?!!? Everything I try my uc is just getting worse.

So now I have:
-overpayment of carer element which was their fault
-overpayment of disabled child element, but they’re wrong!!
-overpayment from LHA which I don’t agree with but can’t prove because can’t get statements
-overpayment because they claim I should have been capped when I shouldn’t 
-tax credit overpayment from 2010 that I’d never heard of or knew anything about until now
AND I’m sanctioned with no end in sight 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    First thing to note if you have a tc debt it doesn't matter how far back it goes.

That said the whole story seems to be a sorry mess, my first instinct is to advise you to contact welfare rights and see if they can help/advise, failing that perhaps a word with your MP see if they can help sort the mess out, sometimes when an MP gets involved its surprising how fast the DWP get things in order.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• huney
    huney Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    Options
    That’s crazy a tax credit debt can be any age!! I always kept them updated of any change and can’t see how we could have been overpaid. How would I even prove otherwise after this long? How can they even prove I owe it? 
    I will try and reach out to my mp thanks for the tip 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.